quick question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

quick question

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ok, so i went ahead and decided to pull codes from my car this weekend and ive got a question. when you pull codes its between the TEN and GND connection right? and when you turn the ignition on to view the codes i dont have any lights flashing. Im presuming that if i had codes to pull the check engine light would flash a code but mine would stay lit for maybe 3 seconds and then turn off.

so i guess my question is that if i have no light or flashing light does that mean i have no codes?
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Thats sounds right but u better wait for a more knowlagable member to answer as well.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Greetings... been lurking for a while but I;'ve read enough to know that if the CEL stays lit for 3 seconds and then goes out while you are trying to pull codes you have no stored codes.

Congrats!
93 GS SE
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

thats good news. But if my timing was off and the ECU compensated for it, would it show up in the codes?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Why do you think the timing was off? Did you check it with a timing light? The ECU will compensate as best it can if it is WAY off, but it depends on how badly it is off and how the timing got off track.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i dont know how much its off or even if it is off. i got the car used and it seems as though its ticking. Dunno but what ive been hearing it could be worn HLA's or timing out of specs. I dont have a timing light so i cant really figure it out.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Is the ticking coming from the valve cover or the timing belt cover?
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

dont know, ill have a look when it stops raining here.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Put in your profile where you are from. The MX community is pretty tight so maybe someone close could meet you and show you some things about the car.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

How's the oil level on the dipstick? You recently got the car? You may want to do an oil change just for maintenance purposes. If the oil level is low, you may have louder valvetrain ticking than if it's up, so that's one thing to check.
Also, if you're hearing the ticking from the timing belt cover, the likely cause is the hydraulic arm that applies pressure to the timing belt tensioner.
Cody
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ive done an oil change and ive put mybe like 5 klm on it. i put the good synthetic stuff into it as well.

How can i check the tensioner for the timing belt? Do i just push on the belt?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”