No 2nd Gear!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Jiveslug

No 2nd Gear!

Post by Jiveslug »

Hi everyone. So, I seem to have lost 2nd gear. This is a VBT out here in CA. The reason being is that my registration is going to be up and in order to get a smog check, the car has to be tested in 2nd gear. The shifter is brand new, so I know that is not the problem. Basically, whenever I try to shift into 2nd, the gear does not fully engage and grinds without going into gear. I am thinking that this is a shifter fork problem rather than a synchro problem. I have tried double clutching and that does not help. I looked at the online shop manual, and it seems that 1st and 2nd gears use the same fork. First gear works fine. Is there something that I am not thinking of, or is this likely to be a problem with the fork? Should I try some synthetic gear oil and see if that helps? What do you guys suggest?
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

does 4th or reverse work?
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Jiveslug

Post by Jiveslug »

Yup, every gear but 2nd works.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Sounds like a synchro to me. 2nd is often one of the first to go. That and reverse for some reason...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
coindex

Post by coindex »

it is a synchro problem. I have the same trouble with my engine and it is going to cost approx. $2000 to rebuild the tranny and install a new clutch (might as well since the tranny is already out)_

Return to “Transmissions”