oh joy I'm now in the "blown 3rd" hall of fame

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
ruthless_mx3

oh joy I'm now in the "blown 3rd" hall of fame

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

yeah 3rd gear blew up the other nite. I had the other gears to make it home where it will now stay till I can figure out what to do. The trans makes grinding noises even when just in neutral and idleing.
I've been waiting for this to happen. this is the second tranny in a year. Was the Diff bearings first and now third gear.
I amvery hard on my car so I can understand that things are gonna break. I treat my car worse than a rental. I have a blast though. :lol:

Any who, I know I'll do it again soon if I replace with stock parts so basically I'm asking what are my options? I've tried to search for detailed info but everything is very vaigue. I already wasted money on miata discs that ended up way too friggen small. (supposedly any year works...nope sure a-- hell doesn't) 89-93 is a no go.

Gro Harlem used zx2 internals ffrom, if i understand right, a 97-03 zx2. Any details or specifics on this? Gro? :help:

to make things worse its the factory jdm lsd tranny. On the possitive side when my diff bearings went out I was able to get them right from the local mazda dealership. they were the same bearings as the domestic open diff bearings.

thanks
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can have the gears cryo treated, it will make them stronger. There is a good post with more info from Yoda- try a search on transmisions with his name.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I dont understand how thaty tranny breaks.. wow .. i have 250 thousand miles on mine and its still good (i dont know if its the original but i do give it hell)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

searched but couldn't find anything like that from yoda. maybe I'm not doing it right or something, I don't know.
And yeah, it breaks. ha ha

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
coindex

Post by coindex »

dont worry im in the blown synchro 2nd gear club
Found out its going to cost me approx. $2000 to rebuild my tranny (this is everything included to pull/install tranny, rebuild tranny, and install a new clutch kit)
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

yeah I did first and second syncros 3 years ago. Was cheaper just to buy a used tranny. Now I need an upgrade though, I am sick of replacing the transmission.
Gro PM'd me and said the difference is that the zx2 uses brass syncros instead of copper and 5th gear is longer.
I did finally find a post with some awesome info covering cryo treating and other interesting info. Check it out: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... light=cryo
My spare trans is now at a shop being stripped apart and changed slightly. I'll keep everyone updated.

Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i blew my 3rd gear in my f-series trans a while back. i know what u mean,. sux feels like u blow a motor
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Return to “Transmissions”