Spec clutch problems again

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kellywellz

Spec clutch problems again

Post by kellywellz »

The first time i installed the spec stage one clutch itwent out after about 300 miles of driving, but this was while doing a burnout. About 3000 miles ago i had a new one put in, the same exactly clutch, now for about a month when u push down on the clutch it goes about half way and every once in a while will pop and then go all the way down. Tonight i noticed it was a little harder to put into first gear and then later when i would press the clutch it would be really rough or bumpy when pressing down and it also makes loud clicking noises even when the car is just in neutral. If you shift fast it doesnt seem to act up as much but when u press the clutch down slower or release it slower its all bumpy and sloppy like i mentioned. im not sure whats going on and some help would be good. Im getting tired of pulling my engine to put ina new clutch.
blue 92 mx3,95 bp swap, 97 kia tranny, spec stage 1 clutch,white excel rims.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Quit doing burnouts. They create a crap ton of heat which is transfered to the transmision and into the clutch. I bet you have ruined the friction surface. I bet you also rev dropped it to get a good start to the burnout...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

ok honestly i have done maybe one burnout the 3000 miles i have put on this clutch, its also suppose to handle a little more considering its a stage one, it is made for being abused a little more, i know lots of people with stock clutches that are holding up just fine even after several burnouts...im thinking it might be the throwout bearing even tho that was newly replaced also...
blue 92 mx3,95 bp swap, 97 kia tranny, spec stage 1 clutch,white excel rims.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

kellywellz wrote:ok honestly i have done maybe one burnout the 3000 miles i have put on this clutch, its also suppose to handle a little more considering its a stage one, it is made for being abused a little more, i know lots of people with stock clutches that are holding up just fine even after several burnouts...im thinking it might be the throwout bearing even tho that was newly replaced also...
When they say "handle a little more", it's not in the exact same terms. Staged clutches grip faster and harder, which means they take harder hits when you drop the clutch fast. Stock clutches take a second to catch, so the surface gets sanded a little, but the shock doesn't hit as bad. I wouldn't expect a stage one to outlast a stock clutch in normal driving.

Secondly, it sounds like something broke, and I my money isn't on the clutch. Check the cylinders and the lines first. Could be the fork.
coindex

Post by coindex »

did you install the clutch? If so (even if you never) did you align the clutch properly. This could cause a lot of your problems you are having
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

I haven't had good luck with them at all.. I have had 2. The first one I was still breaking in, started slipping in the higher gears ( bad pressure plate) Got new one, works fine till it gets hot out. All of them stage 2 should handle 200 foot pounds of torque.

-1 SPEC
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”