Idle issue

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
boniclyd

Idle issue

Post by boniclyd »

Hello,
The issue is when the car is at idle is surges every couple of seconds.
Not enough to make it die, just enough to notice.
It has done this for some time.
Due to failures in the past (6 months)I've changed out the disty, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, alt, battery, radiator. THen just recently my fuel pump and relay, timing belt and tensioner.
I thought for sure after the fuel pump that that might clear up the issue.
The fuel pump finally went out, so I thought the the surge was from it going bad. But that wasn't it. Any input would be great.

cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
coindex

Post by coindex »

my car does the same thing, it will idle at approx. 450rpm (which is lower then it should for a standard average is 600rpm) then it will drop down to almost dieying right out. I hope someone has an answer.
I think it might be the timing which has to be adjusted (also maybe the computer may have something to do with it also)
I have checked my car for vaccuum leaks and have found nothing.
hharb

Post by hharb »

air leaks, pcv valve, check those, it will help you solve the problem, also try and adjust the ideling a little higher, something like 700 rpm or a little more.
m0rpheus666

Post by m0rpheus666 »

Ok here is the problem i have with my idle, sry if im hijacking this thread. My car will idle around the normal 800-750rpm right, but on occasion if i have my brake pressed it drops to under 500 for a few seconds then will jump bck up for about a minute then drops below again, doing the same cycle until the brake is released. If the A/C is on tho it not do it at all. It idles just fine. Whats up? I know it is not a vacuum leak nor is it the alternator, i had it tested and it is just fine. I have added more grounds to try and remedy it, Not the pcv valve either that was just replaced. What else could be causing this?
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

I had an idle issue with my mx and it turned out to be a faulty o2 sensor. Once i replaced that the problem was solved, also check the air intake intake hose, particulary the accordion part after the maf. I had a crack on the bottom of that part which made it invisible to the eye but if u feel around there u would feel the whole. Thats another factor that could cause idle issues as there is unmetered air going in after the maf. G/L
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”