alternator out -- again

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xerostatus

alternator out -- again

Post by xerostatus »

so a few weeks ago, maybe about a month or less, my alternator went dead. replaced it, local mechanic gave me a lifetime warranty on the sucker so i thought i was straight. but then now, i saw the charge light come on again (when im idling, upon revving the engine it goes away, and apparently it drives fine for now)

so i went back and they tested it, and apparently the alternator is dead again. so right now im getting another alternator, luckily no cost on my part (aside from having my car outta commission for a bit)

now my question is, is it all that likely that my dumb luck just screwed me over again, and i just happened to go through 2 alternator in this time period, or could the root of the problem be elsewhere?

Oh, and a little background info: car is a GS with a klze swapped in. as far as i know nothing is wrong with the car aside from that...

any ideas or comments would help, thanks.
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm well.. is the battery good? I assume it is, are the alternator's wires tight and not loose, that can cause that. Do you have a stereo system? do your lights dim when you press the pedal? why didnt u go with the millenia alternator?

Once this happened to me but i didnt want to replace alternator, checked and the wire was loose on the alt.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”