HELP!!! air intake is leaking oil

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hharb

HELP!!! air intake is leaking oil

Post by hharb »

I do know that you tend to get some oil in the air intake on most mx-3s, but my case is a little too extreme, My air filter is dripping oil like crazy, i do go through a liter of oil every few days. I tried to research the issue but i couldnt find the cause or any other posts that state the same problem. What i need to know is what is causing this, and how could i stop the oil pouring into the air intake, I thought about putting a Breather but still the oil would leak on the road anyways, i guess its better for the engine, but still doesnt solve the leaking problem. any input would e greatly appreciated.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

It seems like your PCV valve is gone, replace it . Try bypassing it for a few days and see if that works. I would suggest might as well taking outb the whole manifold and clean it. I bet its pretty dirty in there and robing some power and fuel economy. Pics?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hharb

Post by hharb »

um, im bad when it comes to technical terms, its actually the hose that connects to the little metal tube, AKA, the big one, that is causing the big leak. while the oil coming from the PCV valve seems to be minimal. it looks mildly clean under the cover, im heading towards buying a catch tank but i would rather pay more money and have the leak stop.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

thats still part of the pcv system. I bypassed all hoses to the Intake. I was told its bad. I do have a filter for the pcv so really the fumes from the valve covers are being passed into the IM how they should be, except i got a filter there. I opened the valve covers and its still clean. I say try that.

Have you had the engine compression tested btw? what engine ze? k8? de?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hharb

Post by hharb »

i got a ZE, and i did pass the emissions. the engine does not appear to burn oil but the leak is killing me lol. do you have a any pics of your setup? do you still lose oil now?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I lose no oil at all , give me 3 mins and ill go snap a picture. Excuse the messy engine bay please. LOL
-hec

hharb

Post by hharb »

thanks alot man :D
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z139 ... nt=Pcv.jpg

I know its the dirties engine bay ever.

Anywho I noticed after I did this the car no longer stalls when i remove oil cap.

There is zero oil in the throttle body. Some oil manages to ge trough but its minimal. The air does get sucked into the IM via that tube.

When I floor it alot i can sometimes get a smell like an exhaust leak.

Ive had this set uo for a while tho.
-hec

hharb

Post by hharb »

sweet, what i dont understand is where those lines are going, i can see they're off the air intake, i can see the breather, but both lines seem to be going somewhere that i cant figure out lol. btw mu car doesnt stall if i remove the cap lol, as a matter of fact i drove a good 50kms on it with the cap off, not purposely ofcourse lol
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oh lol sorry, well those 2 hoses come from the valve covers. Originally the filter, that part goes into the Intake tube. Im basically venting the pcv to at At mosphere. Keeping most oil out of the intake. The point of this is to keep oil away from it. Got any pics of your intake? and the oil?
-hec

hharb

Post by hharb »

ill take some give me a minute.
hharb

Post by hharb »

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o6/h ... 020822.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o6/h ... 020823.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o6/h ... 020824.jpg

The one in the middle shows a little bit of oil that leaked out of the air filter. but yeah reality is much worse.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I seem to have found your problem.. WOW.. why do you have the PCV line tunning to that part of the manifold? see where your brake booster is connected? thats where it goes!! Also the one on top of the tb that one goes to the purge solenoid. Where do you have the puming for the rear valve cover? I cant locate it in the pic? Def thats not right. Im loading the pics as we speak.
-hec

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

-hec

hharb

Post by hharb »

hmm, i should try and do that and see if it makes any difference, still the biggest source of oil seemed to be the other line, now even if i put a breather on it, it will still leak out of it, i think.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”