Testing the water: Mazda OEM Side Sill Kit Group Buy

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Actually I lucked out when I bought my side skirts. I paid $300 canadian for a set that has never seen an mx3. They're still in the original box, with instructions, with all the mounting hardware and their original packaging. I do know what is involved in making custom pieces. I'm currently working a set of taillights and it def isn't easy. Your skirts are looking good so far. It will be interesting to see them sanded and primered and held up to an mx3 to judge fitment. Good luck on the sale and props for all the hard work.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

They should fit pretty perfectly. He molded from a factory sideskirt.

PS, though- In my experience with molds for fiberglass and experience from others who mold and reproduce parts that I've talked to you need a MUCH thicker mold or the pieces will start to degrade in quality very quickly. This happens because as you tear each plug from the mold it bends and warps the mold and thus the next peice will not fit as well as the first. The trick is to get the mold as thick and braced as possible to keep the mold the same shape piece after piece.

Your mold looks like it is about 2 layers thick. I'd say 8 layers plus some metal binding inbetween the 4th 5th layers to keep it firm would do the trick.
I know you said you have made pieces before, but there is a difference in making one or two and making ten.

Just a tid bit. :wink:
Good luck.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jfrotary

Post by jfrotary »

I wont to the skirts with the mold befor reinforcing it, it will be nailed to a wood rack and about 5 layer of fiberglass will be added to be sure the mold keep its good shape skirts after skirts

thx
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Just wanted to say its always nice to see pictures of my car being displayed around the net still, I miss the car. I always loved those side skirts, cleanest looking in my opinion.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

so is this going through or is it a flop???
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

yes, i would like to know as well... tax return money should be coming soon and the old ride needs some parts
Overclock

Post by Overclock »

I'm in. I live in Montreal and would be more than happy to pay/pick up a pair to verify the legitimacy of this guys work.
'96 MX-3, KLZE, ZE Curve Neck Intake, KL68 TB, K8 ECU, CAI, KL-02 VAF.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

PATDIESEL wrote: PS, though- In my experience with molds for fiberglass and experience from others who mold and reproduce parts that I've talked to you need a MUCH thicker mold or the pieces will start to degrade in quality very quickly. This happens because as you tear each plug from the mold it bends and warps the mold and thus the next peice will not fit as well as the first. The trick is to get the mold as thick and braced as possible to keep the mold the same shape piece after piece.

Your mold looks like it is about 2 layers thick. I'd say 8 layers plus some metal binding inbetween the 4th 5th layers to keep it firm would do the trick.
What he could do is work a piece of thick rebar between layers of fiberglass. That'll hold the shape better.

But I think it'd be more reasonable if it was $200 USD for the sideskirts. Those are probably the nicest sideskirts I've seen for the MX3. Not obnoxious with those ridiculous faux vents ..... like we have a rear engine Lamborshini or something?
jfrotary

Post by jfrotary »

HI everyone, Im not dead .. I was out of country for 8 months ... when I,ve started to talk about those skirt I wasnt able to find the material at a good price ... and i know that 300$ is a bit expensive and you will have to pay shiopping on these and everything ... so ive chek since im back and ive found a shop that can sell me everything i need to a decent price ... its hard to have good price when you are not a company ... so I'm gaging interest again because in Montreal its pretty sure it will start ... if you prefer to wait until one is made here I have no problem, i will post picture when it will be done, for now im moving and my girlsfriend'grandma is dead so its a bit rock n roll but I'll do one as soon as possible ...

are those sideskirt still the most desired on this board ... or no one like them anymore ? ... I'm a bit deconected form mx-3 world since I was out of country

thx everyone
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I'm still interested, but would need to see a finished product first. I also would like to see the finished mold. Detail pics would be nice. I know posting a large pic on here is not feasable, but maybe put them on a photo site so that we can take a look knowing it may take a minute to load. 300 sounds fair since they are pretty much unavailable.
As for the style, I would rather the twited OEM full legnth skirts (E-spec and J-Spec style), but the NA spec ones are still nice.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

I'm interested
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

rekognize wrote:I'm interested
please if you are selling or doing a group buy to get permission from jeff
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
rece

Post by rece »

I would also like a pair if the quality is good. I have wanted some for a long time, but cant find any
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Josh wrote:well i tried to gauge intrest on thies before, exact replica hand layed fiberglass, 3 layers for like 200 US a set. it was a no go i had no one who wanted any. so im making the molds now and will probably sell them on ebay set by set. i just know how desired they were and came across a set thought i would share the welth since they are clean looking and no aftermaket company has picked up on making them yet.
If you manage to make OEM replicas of the sideskirts for $200
I`m buying them for sure.
If you had them in stock, I`d pay on thursday.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
jfrotary

Post by jfrotary »

monty73741 wrote:
rekognize wrote:I'm interested
please if you are selling or doing a group buy to get permission from jeff
dont worry when the time will come it will be done ...

cheking to start on the second week of july

Return to “Appearance”