Exhaust Question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Stoney89

Exhaust Question

Post by Stoney89 »

I have a 95 mx-3 1.6L DOHC and i was wondering if there is supposed to be a flex pipe after the header? I also just discovered that my header is almost cracked in half. Some parts of the exhaust were replaced before i bought the car and i was wondering if they did not put the flex pipe back in place where it was supposed to be and thats why the header is cracked. I have never seen a header with this big of a crack. Anyone got any idea's :?:
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Flex pipe is right after header. Maybe the car was bottomed out an hit the exhaust manny.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stoney89

Post by Stoney89 »

Yea thats what i thought there should have been flex pipe after. The person who fixed the exhaust before i got it replaced the flex pipe with a piece of straight pipe for some stupid reason. Thanx alot.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I think it depends on the model. My 95 is factory exhaust lines and doesn't have a flex pipe.
Stoney89

Post by Stoney89 »

hey superk Does your stock exhaust have a split piece of aluminum clamped around the exhaust pipe after the header and catalytic converter?
Stoney89

Post by Stoney89 »

Or Does anyone have a picture of a 95' 1.6L DOHC stock exhaust. :?:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yup.. I used this pic for a write on how to change your ATX filter.. but the pic also shows the stock exaust upto the catalytic converter. Might want to take a bit of time and read through the FAQ sections.. all kinds of good info in there and you would have found this picture as well ;)

Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
torpedan

Re: Exhaust Question

Post by torpedan »

Stoney89 wrote:I have a 95 mx-3 1.6L DOHC and i was wondering if there is supposed to be a flex pipe after the header? I also just discovered that my header is almost cracked in half. Some parts of the exhaust were replaced before i bought the car and i was wondering if they did not put the flex pipe back in place where it was supposed to be and thats why the header is cracked. I have never seen a header with this big of a crack. Anyone got any idea's :?:
Heat will do in headers overtime, I want to say the stock header had a little bridge easily that could crack but i really do not remember. Is it a cast manifold or an actualy tubular header, the tubular would not be the stock ones and they also crack mucher easier.

Mx-3s as I recall do not use flex pipes, many manufactures go the cheaper route and employ a "joint" in the system that can flex. If you look at the large flange on the picture above you can see two springs on the bolts. This sytem alows the system to flex, not as much as a flex pipe but still enough to prevent problems unless the system suffers a significant impact, IE getting rear ended. From my experiences its hard to bottom out and hit anything but the toe hooks up front.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Stoney89

Post by Stoney89 »

Thanx 4 the info. Helps alot :2thumbsup:
mazda_mx3r

Post by mazda_mx3r »

ummm i have to disagree with you,when i went to a custom muffler shop to get my exhaust put on. he pointed up under my car and said a needed a new flex pipe. because the braiding was coming off of it...i dont know though,but mines a 93...it was all good though got 2 inch mandrel bent piping plus a performance muffler and the flex pipe installed for 280!!!
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

some came with a flex pipe installed on some didn't mine was just a down pipe with spring loaded bolts right before the cat i belive that it's this kind of set up on all the dohc engines that have a pre-cat on the headers but i perfer to not have a flex pipe it hurts exhaust flow by a very tiny bit mind you but enough to piss me off the smother you can get the engine to flow the better power and mpg you can achive.
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

reaper of souls

so is that why ur home made intake didnt have a filter on it on the mx u sold me? do me a favour and stfu if anybody seen what u did to the mx u sold me and all ur 'mods' u would be the laughing stock of this board. You no longer drive an mx so do us all a favour and dont post!

Cheers
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

actually i still have the filter off my old mx i removed it and kept it mabye next time you should take a look at the car before you buy like i said in the post when it was for sale and over the phone AS IS not my fault that your not bright enought to look at a car before you buy an i may not have a mx anymore but there are many others still on the board that have gotten rid of there mx's and are still here so do us all a favour and shut the hell up and stop stealing some one else's post that is asking for help

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

Taking off the intake filter before selling the car is a very common practise! Sorry i completly forgot about that one...
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”