Basic Strut Questions

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
lochabay

Basic Strut Questions

Post by lochabay »

I have a 93 rs. The previous owner apparently installed, or tried to install, new rear shock absorbers. After inspection on a rack, the rear shocks are seen to be surrounded by loose coil springs, the springs only being held in place (as in place as they get) by the weight of the car. After they are removed and inspected this weekend I have no doubt there are going to be missing strut parts. I have looked around on the net and I don't find anyone selling strut parts, so I take it my only option is to buy a new complete strut assemblies (too expensive) or used struts out of a yard and try to make two good struts out of the parts. This started because I bought new monroe sensatrac shocks for the rear - had some pretty loud thumps coming from back there. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
David Lochabay
Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands
Black 1993 MX3, MT, 1.6 SOHC
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah, the stock strut should not have a loose spring like that. I would get some from a yard, like you said, and find the pieces that are missing. If you are replacing the strut it is a good time to replace the strut mount too. They might still be good, but I doubt they will last through the life of the new struts.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The parts for a 90-94 323/ Familia/ Protege or a Ford Laser/ Lynx of the same vintage in your part of the world are the identical parts.

Look in the Monroe catalog all the replacement parts are available except for the springs. The spring may actually be the issue the rear springs in all the 323 based cars including the MX-3 are well known for the rear springs snapping of a coil at the top on there own.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”