$50 tremclad paint job? ..

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
96mx-3

$50 tremclad paint job? ..

Post by 96mx-3 »

alright so ive been looking into this tremclad paitn job..and i was jsut wondering if any mx-3s have it...jsut curious i was thinkin aobut doing mine satin black but i dont reall wanan f--- my car up lol...let me know..

half way down page
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-99359.html

sorry duno if im allowed to use links
92blackmx3

Post by 92blackmx3 »

i did my whole car flat black i used 4 cans of tremclad but if you wanna be safe get a couple more i sanded it down first just a little bit to rough it up.
here's a pic of how it looked on a cloudy day

this is how it looked on a sunny day
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

that looks like if it was primered :S
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

let's just call this what it is.... a ghetto paint job. i mean why not just go to sherwin williams buy a few rollers, brushes and some dutch boy and do it up, maybe get one of the cute little sea sponges and give it some really good race graffix. Rice just sunk to a new low
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Odd, I first saw this on American Muscle. Hardly rice, but not what I'd call a finished job. I see this as a means of covering up a bad paint job for a small price and at least having a uniform look to the car, but it's not the 'classiest' finish.
Cody
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Funny you shouold mention the rolled on paint job. I saw a topic on some forum once where a guy did a roller paint job in his driveway on some old sorta-muscle car and it came out pretty nicely. It was a glassy finish with no streaks or stripes... I do not like the flat black paint job though, just looks cheap to me. But to each his own I guess.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

cars are meant to be painted with CAR paint and clear coat so yah no other way around i'm afraid its kinda law of the world
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Cy

Post by Cy »

Hoodzy wrote:cars are meant to be painted with CAR paint and clear coat so yah no other way around i'm afraid its kinda law of the world
Tremclad is basically car paint...it's just 100% acyrlic vs. acrylic color with a urathane or other hardener...

I spray bomb'd my rear bumper with Crappy-tire motomaster automotive paint and clear coat and then sanded and buffed it...
It looks pretty damn good besides all the carbon in it from my old 1.6l...

If you want a flat black car, buy single-stage black paint with flatner...
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Pat I posted this up on the MOCA forum. If you go to the store and pic up a HOT ROD mag they did a write up and a how to, for this kinda paint job.
Here is the site.
http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cy

Post by Cy »

well...I have 2 sprayed gallons of 1k nason primer and no booth to spray in....looks like i'm rolling my car :D
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

It cost me 80 dllrs material wise to paint my car :/ I dont see why you want to paint your car like that? basic Blue costed me around 45, pearl was like 5 dllrs - 7 a spoon (used only one.. yeah one ) The clear was like 20. The rest was in sandpaper and cleaning supplies. I already had the gun and compressor.

Since my uncle helped and hes a pro.. i oayed him 200 tho.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

alright well turns out i dont need to roll it :) i need to do body work and but my own paint and i can get it sprayed for free :) im thinkin satin black ...
lost_mx3

Post by lost_mx3 »

92blackmx3 wrote:i did my whole car flat black i used 4 cans of tremclad but if you wanna be safe get a couple more i sanded it down first just a little bit to rough it up.
4 small cans right? In the original post - found here http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1 - it is instructed to thin the paint 4 to 1 (or more) with mineral spirits. The charger was painted like 5 times with less than one gallon of paint. If proper prep and time are taken it is a great way to paint a daily driven car. You can clear over it, but all it really needs is buffed.
1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC 5SP.
92blackmx3

Post by 92blackmx3 »

it was just a beater the car was in rough shape it came out good if you seen it up close the been crushed anyways i wasnt payin for a good paint job on something that wouldnt last long i always paid to get it done right other then that once and they were the bigger cans 30% more or something
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

lost_mx3 wrote:
92blackmx3 wrote:i did my whole car flat black i used 4 cans of tremclad but if you wanna be safe get a couple more i sanded it down first just a little bit to rough it up.
4 small cans right? In the original post - found here http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1 - it is instructed to thin the paint 4 to 1 (or more) with mineral spirits. The charger was painted like 5 times with less than one gallon of paint. If proper prep and time are taken it is a great way to paint a daily driven car. You can clear over it, but all it really needs is buffed.
This thread on Moparts has like 154 pages and has been going continuously since it was started a year and a half ago...these guys are serious abou their cheap paint jobs!!!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Appearance”