oil filter replacement argh!!!! Help!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
robbo604

oil filter replacement argh!!!! Help!

Post by robbo604 »

hi, on my v6 1.8 im stuck gettin the oil filter off, not been changed in a while by look of it ,bought a tool(non chain one argh!!) and it wont come off.Any ideas and to confirm which way does it turn to remove? clock wise or anti?
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Sometimes the filter can be a pain in the a-- since its in an inconvenient spot. It turns off counterclockwise.

I'm assuming you bought one of those universal tools with the screw that tightens up a metal strap? Just tighten that down as hard as you possible can and work it off little by little. there isn't much room to move in there, usually I only turn it a few degrees at a time, resetting the wrench every time.

If worse comes to worst I've heard that you can jam a screwdriver through the side and use that to twist it off... Your replacing it anyway so I guess that makes sense.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

ElectricEnergy wrote:...If worse comes to worst I've heard that you can jam a screwdriver through the side and use that to twist it off... Your replacing it anyway so I guess that makes sense.
Yup, had to use that trick on another car in the past. Fugly but it works as a last resort.
Image -Jim
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I do that almost every time if I cannot get it off by hand. Just make sure not to hit the oil pick-up that sticks down into the filter.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
robbo604

Post by robbo604 »

guys i tried the srew driver and its solid !!! nightmare. i was trying counter c/w. The remover i used was like a hook on a metal strap that tightened when you move it but it was pants and just slipped.Is the chain on worth a go. or large monkey wrench.Then again as you say not much room.eh.
Red Rocket

Post by Red Rocket »

I know they make a ratchet adapter for oil filters, seem to work solid. Becareful though, I've had an insane oil leak since MIDAS did an oil change for me, just havent bothered to see if its the gasket, oil coolant lines, or the filter itself.
[*url=http:cardomain.com/ride/2632839]My Cardomain Page[/url*]
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

k8 is easiest to remove oil filter on....You should try our lexus. Filter sits under the exhaust manifold, and when you finally do get it off oil leaks all over engine mount and onto everything else there is.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
robbo604

Post by robbo604 »

lol cheers guys. :)
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Yeh just use a big pipe wrench and clamp down on it who cares if you dent it. I do that all the time, wonder why its so dam tight!.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

probly forgot to oil the the rubber seal so it doesnt weld to the engine block
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

How did the screw driver not work? It Always works for me. Punch the screw driver through both sides and give it a good twist. It WILL come off. Use a long screwdriver for more torque.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
boo-mx3

Post by boo-mx3 »

ya the only way a screwdriver wouldnt work is if you punched it right through, and twisted and it ripped the filter in half,... damn that would suck... i had that happen to me on a truck fuel filter
robbo604

Post by robbo604 »

well ............. i had to take the mating part off too and vice it. The filter was rusted solid.god knows how long the last owner left it on.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Not good, you should take the oil cap off and look under the valve cover for brown sludge (use a flashlight). If you see much you might need to consider some sort of engine flush. Make sure to clean the mating surface on the oil cooler so that it doesn't get stuck again. If you sand the rust off it will probably rust even more quickly so try solvents first.
cstott282

Post by cstott282 »

just thought i would check again ...... u are turning it ccw right? lol :D damn that sucks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”