Look at this engine. Is it worth buying? (pics inside)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Whisper

Look at this engine. Is it worth buying? (pics inside)

Post by Whisper »

Local JDM engine importer (http://www.foreignenginesinc.com/) has this this motor. They say it's KLZE, and it does look the part. Square runners, long straight neck, KL31 TB, KL31-1A1 stamp on the heads.

Golden on the inside, at least looking under the oil cap. Didn't see any leaks. However there's a lot of rust, chipping, and wear. There's also some oil spilling on the block here and there. I'm guessing it's probably from other engines. These guys have the engines stuffed into large crates, and the crates are stacked on top of each other. I can think of a million ways that oil could get there.

Can't say I liked how the engines are stored, rubbing against each other, and I didn't like how the guy pulled it out while hitting other engines. I'm sure the blocks are strong, but still...who knows how much rougher they handle them when nobody's looking.

Anyway, I wasn't too impressed with this motor. Granted I haven't really looked at many engines, so maybe they're all like that. I was told new ones comes in every two weeks or so. I'm inclined to wait for the next one.

The place itself isn't bad. Overall the people were quite nice and helpful. Also it's pretty close to home, offers 1 year warranty, and the shipping would be free. Big bonus, that one.

$900 for the engine, btw.

Here are the pics:

Bending? WTF?

Thoughts? Am I correct in not wanting to buy this engine?

Thanks.
bigtime

Post by bigtime »

where abouts are you ?
that engine looks pretty good and clean to me. you seem to know what you're looking for.
which ever klze you buy, you're not going to know how it's been transported, if it runs well, if the owner in japan gave it lots of stick, how long it's been sitting. etc etc
it looks like the oli inside is kinda dry, maybe sitting in the yard for a while which isn't ideal.

remember these are 12 to 15 year old engines now and getting harder to find.
there were a few goodies on there which often come with a front cut only
- alternator, distributor, air con pump.

If you can look at a couple more in person you will get a better idea of what condition these are normally in. don't delay too long this could be the one.
It may take you ages to find another one, let alone a better one so don't think about it too long. If it's close to you, they can't freight you another or the wrong engine.
see if they'll throw in the ecu with it..

hope this helps
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

that seems like the kl31 engine!!! nice, how much? do they give you some sort of start up warranty? looks good to me man :) they come dirty like that because they get shipped by boat and sometimes they are exposed to the elements (what my seller told me) mine looked ugly but i took off the valve covers and it was cleran, started nice, i regret not getting the kl31 cammed ze tho.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I'm in Seattle, WA.

The thing that throws me off is that my K8 seems to be in the same, if not better condition visually (as far as I can tell), with 135k miles on it. Not to mention being driven in rainy, rainy Seattle for 15 years.

Who knows, maybe that motor is excellent. I just don't feel right getting the first engine I see.
Last edited by Whisper on May 19th, 2007, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

what does the 250 mean? I hope its not the compression? remember that these engines came in an automatic transaxle, so im almost certain they didnt get beat down as much as we beat our manuals. They shift lower when driven normal.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Don't know what 250 means. Didn't ask. Maybe it's the horsepower. LOL
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

it does seem like compression, may have some carbon build up. my ze had cold 195 compression. warm was like 220.
-hec

Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Hmm...250 would be way unreasonable. I will call them up Monday and ask, though.
bigtime

Post by bigtime »

250 is probably mean 2.5 litre ? It was on the inlet manifold AND the timing belt cover.

If your not sure, look at a few others kl series engines first to compare :D

those numbers you listed on the head, yes that is a straight neck klze. same as mine. they are different numbers on each head, but you listed one of them.
you would easily be able to read the engine number on the block of it too because it's not in the car.

your k8 is cleaner than this, :shock:
put this one in your garage until you can get your k8 dirtier than it to justify to yourself to do the swap :D

It's a crap car to drive with the k8.
with 50% more power & 40 % more torque, It's lovely 8)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I think the other number was 101 or something. Was hard to see.

I said my K8 looks cleaner. Doesn't mean it's in good condition performance-wise. :wink:

It's burning a little too much oil, probably leaking some too, and the HLAs tick even with good oil, so they're probably shot. It pulls like a slug, and even slower when warmed up. Not a big deal for commute, but laughable for racing. When I autocrossed, I felt like I could run the course on foot faster than I drove it.
bigtime

Post by bigtime »

I can't remember off the top of my head the two head codes on the engine. when you listed one of them, I did.
I think the the other was 101 instead of 1A1, but can't be bothered walking outside to double check :wink:

with those pics and numbers, that was definately a klze.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, I just checked, 101 and 1A1 are the legit numbers.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey is it normal for it not to have the v6 dohc labels? carefull not to get a square runner kfze. altough it has kl31 heads so it should be ok?
-hec

Whisper

Post by Whisper »

It has the V6 DOHC label, check the pics.

And square runner KFZE doesn't have a straight neck.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Almost looks like the oil pan is smashed in. If it is, hopefully it didn't damage the pick up tube.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”