homemade air intakes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

homemade air intakes

Post by 94mx3precidia »

Hey, im looking into making a homemade Air Intake to gain a little bit more power. Does anyone have any ideas or guides on how to build one of these? im looking into making a homemade one, not really looking to drop $300 on an intake. Pictures would also be helpful just to geve me a mental image of what to do. thanks.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Buy an intake for a ford a 93 ford probe gt. Very cheap, then message me once bought and ill show u how to make it fit and where to cut. I feel it may be abit better than the homemade one.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

can you give em a quote for that in CDN$$$??
buzzart

Post by buzzart »

Hey Buddy

Do like i've done.I bought a cold air intake of a 90 civic on ebay. It Cost me with Shipping 50$ CAN. When i got it i just cut it 2 place then its done and ready to put in ! :2thumbsup:

I will get you pics to show you how it looks under the hood.

If something you want talk more about it email me or just add me on msn
raustin22@hotmail.com
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ive got a 92 civic si in the driveway with 380,000klm on it. dont think it will run again so i guess ill have a look at what the intake looks like on that.

p.s ive added u on msn.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I'm pretty sure he meant a cold air intake meant for a civic, the stock one is not going to work very well.

If you decide to order a kit off ebay, I would suggest the one meant for an integra GSR. It comes with 2 pips but you only need the one with the breather nipple. After shipping I believe it was about $50. It even comes with some handy brackets that you can use to relocate your coolant resevoir.

There is no cutting or modification to the pipe required if you use it in combination with a 3" x 3" rubber coupler. Just attached the tube to your throttle body, use the coupler to attach to your MAF, and attach the filter directly to the MAF.

Worked fine for me, here is a picture:

Unfortunately I did have to CAREFULLY bend a metal line that normally goes under the resevoir. Make sure you don't kink it or anything if you decide to do this, because it will have to be moved in order to get the filter down there.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

that looks pretty good. how did you get your vacum hose to fit on? was there already a attachment?

I was thinking of something like this-------> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-A ... 3848QQrdZ1

let me know if this would work.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

[quote="ElectricEnergy"]I'm pretty sure he meant a cold air intake meant for a civic, the stock one is not going to work very well.

If you decide to order a kit off ebay, I would suggest the one meant for an integra GSR. It comes with 2 pips but you only need the one with the breather nipple. After shipping I believe it was about $50. It even comes with some handy brackets that you can use to relocate your coolant resevoir.

There is no cutting or modification to the pipe required if you use it in combination with a 3" x 3" rubber coupler. Just attached the tube to your throttle body, use the coupler to attach to your MAF, and attach the filter directly to the MAF.

Worked fine for me, here is a picture:

i see that you have something connected to the end of the intake, its like some sort of rubber hose. What is it?
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 809&rd=1,1

That is the exact kit I bought.

The blue hose is for the breather, you pretty much need that. Make sure whatever kit you buy has a nipple for it.

The black hose on the end is actually a 3" coupler for plumbing. Its meant for making a flexible joint. I used it to connect the air flow sensor to the end of the aluminum tube.

I wish the pipe also had a nipple for the EGR... I might have to make one somehow.

I have no idea if the intake in the auction you linked to will fit properly. Chances are you'll have to cut it or something. The big advantage to that one though is that it has a nipple for the EGR.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Sal

Post by Sal »

where about do u live? if you live in toronto call toucan and get a CAI for like $100. no need for cutting replacing...
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

What or who is toucan? Are they an aftermarket shop?
'93 GS, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ECU, B&M STS, complete SRD shifter bushings, mx-6 clutch, ZX2 struts, Apex springs... and building...
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Toucan is an aftermarket performance company.

Another good suggestion would be looking at http://www.vibrantperformance.com/ and creating an intake from the induction fabrication components offered there. Then find someone who sells their product.

Here's a link to their distributors in Canada.

http://vibrantperformance.com/can_retail.php
Cody
Sal

Post by Sal »

toucan is a aftermarket performance company they dont have alot of items for the our cars. the only thing that i got from them was the CAI and upper front strut bar and upper rear strut bar. thier located in scarborough there # is 416 299 7384 i dont know if u can buy from them striaght or thorugh thier customers, but call them and find out. Vibrant performance dont even bother they dont have ne thing for the mx, unless ur buying universal converters and so on......
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

thanks
'93 GS, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ECU, B&M STS, complete SRD shifter bushings, mx-6 clutch, ZX2 struts, Apex springs... and building...
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

u'll gain like a puney little smidge of power instead of a bit haha
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”