Calling all people with Fidinza Flywheels

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Calling all people with Fidinza Flywheels

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

In your guys opinion, is the flywheel worth the $200-$300 or whatever amount it costs?

I know those flywheels are made to free up power, were you guys satisfied with the gains?

I understand a light flywheel will give very quick revs but are not really that good for daily driving. Whats your guys opinion on that?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I can tell u its drives great as a daily.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

At the drag strip it makes your third gear really pull. :D when me and my friend rudy used to race (hes faster dunno ahy hah) hes got some nice drag radials. He gets a pull on me at launch but then i pull on him and stay even (back then) with him until the finish line. As a daily driver is awesome. Highly recommended.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I third all of what they said. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you, but if you are going to be moding your car it would definitely help. Wait until you need a clutch to do it though and as it isn't the most convenient thing to swap.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Calling all people with Fidinza Flywheels

Post by Mooneggs »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:In your guys opinion, is the flywheel worth the $200-$300 or whatever amount it costs?
YES - well worth the investment! I also love the fact that when my Stage 2 clutchmasters decided to break apart and destroy the surface of it I was able to buy a replacement surface (it's some type of special material)... been working great for the last 100k miles! :2thumbsup:
mx3biotch

Post by mx3biotch »

Ya Dude, I have a Fidanza Flywheel and a Fidanza Clutch and its amazing, learned how to drive a stick on it so that was interesting but it revs nice and its my daily driver as well and I love it.
94 GS, J-spec KLZE, KL31 ECU, KL31 Cams, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel/Clutch, Custom CAI with K&N, NGK Plugs/Wires, Phenolic Thermoblock Spacers, Custom Magnaflow 2" Exhaust, Custom Titanium Paint, Carbon Fiber Altezzas, 16" Miata Wheels, Crossed Drilled Rotors w/Silver Calipers, Tint, Ground Control/Tockiko Suspension, Ground Control Rear Strut Bar, 6 Point Roll Cage, Corbeau CR2 Seats, Sparco 3 Point Harness, MOMO steering wheel/drifting e-brake/shifter, mx3 door sills/pedals, Carbon Fiber dash inserts, Silver vinyl door insterts, JBL power series 6.5" front components/4x6 rear components, 4 channel amp, infinity 10" self powered sub, JVC 2.5" DVD/Mp3 Player.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Let me throw in my 2 cents. Not worth it, I think its a little too light. Your not gonna see a huge improvement on a dyno. The stock weight of the K8 FW is perfect. These guys say it does cause they like to sit at McDonald's and rev their engines at the girls. :P

Get some light wheels and your car will be much faster!
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Zoso124 wrote:Let me throw in my 2 cents. Not worth it, I think its a little too light. Your not gonna see a huge improvement on a dyno. The stock weight of the K8 FW is perfect. These guys say it does cause they like to sit at McDonald's and rev their engines at the girls. :P

Get some light wheels and your car will be much faster!
Hahah i do not partake in that!

It is light but i had np pulling out of my driveway for the first time...hell i barely noticed a diff in drivabilty. Maybe its because all my other mods.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I have one, love it for the quick revving and getting me into the upper rpm range, though i have to admit it sorta sucks not having a 1st or 2nd gear really, and anyone that has one knows what i'm talking about :) And as for the Daily driving portion, well let me put it to you this way, i have delivered many of pizzas while in college with a klze powered mx-3 and a fidanza flywheel, Once you get to used to it, its not really a problem.

Though a few buddies of mine do have a theory that the lighter flywheel does hurt upper rpm power, basically on the belief that the weight of the flywheel actually will help the intertia (sp) in the high rpms. basically saying that the weight will actually help, wasnt really sure how that worked, but when he said it, sorta sounded like an intresting theory, though a theory none the less, there was no actual hard facts.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Mnemonic wrote:Though a few buddies of mine do have a theory that the lighter flywheel does hurt upper rpm power, basically on the belief that the weight of the flywheel actually will help the intertia (sp) in the high rpms. basically saying that the weight will actually help, wasnt really sure how that worked, but when he said it, sorta sounded like an intresting theory, though a theory none the less, there was no actual hard facts.
Hmm, yeah, I can kind of see that. Heavier flywheel would help keep the engine momentum, so less energy would be spent keeping up the existing revs, and more would be spent increasing the revs.

Although maybe I pulled that out of my a-- just now. Who knows.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Whisper wrote:
Mnemonic wrote:Though a few buddies of mine do have a theory that the lighter flywheel does hurt upper rpm power, basically on the belief that the weight of the flywheel actually will help the intertia (sp) in the high rpms. basically saying that the weight will actually help, wasnt really sure how that worked, but when he said it, sorta sounded like an intresting theory, though a theory none the less, there was no actual hard facts.
Hmm, yeah, I can kind of see that. Heavier flywheel would help keep the engine momentum, so less energy would be spent keeping up the existing revs, and more would be spent increasing the revs.

Although maybe I pulled that out of my a-- just now. Who knows.
Yup, you did.

I can see where this might come from though. Two objects spinning, equal forces applied to slow them, the lighter one will slow faster. Seems like the longer lasting heavier object is better for cruising. However, if you are trying to keep the revs stable you are battling against the force that is trying to slow them down, the momentum of the object is stable and thus becomes irrelevant. Speeding up you must overcome the force that is holding you back and the impulse of the object, in which case, less is better.

So you can speed up faster, slow down faster, and cruising is unaffected. Aside from the cost it sounds like a win win to me. It is a bit costly and time consuming though.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Mnemonic wrote:I have one, love it for the quick revving and getting me into the upper rpm range, though i have to admit it sorta sucks not having a 1st or 2nd gear really, and anyone that has one knows what i'm talking about :)
yeah when you have one of these you fly through 1st and second...
mr1in6billion wrote:So you can speed up faster, slow down faster, and cruising is unaffected. Aside from the cost it sounds like a win win to me. It is a bit costly and time consuming though.
I agree, but if you happen to be changing the clutch, throw out bearing, or putting in an LSD :lol: - you might as well upgrade your flywheel!

and as far as revving at the girls at mcdonalds?LOL where did that come from?! We don't want to hear about YOUR free time activities :wink: and plus if you are revving at those girls anyways you might have other issues - LOL :roll: to each his own I guess...

Oh and I DO have some lightweight wheels already so + the flywheel -that's the best of both worlds right? :D
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Mooneggs wrote:
Mnemonic wrote:I have one, love it for the quick revving and getting me into the upper rpm range, though i have to admit it sorta sucks not having a 1st or 2nd gear really, and anyone that has one knows what i'm talking about :)
yeah when you have one of these you fly through 1st and second...
mr1in6billion wrote:So you can speed up faster, slow down faster, and cruising is unaffected. Aside from the cost it sounds like a win win to me. It is a bit costly and time consuming though.
I agree, but if you happen to be changing the clutch, throw out bearing, or putting in an LSD :lol: - you might as well upgrade your flywheel!

and as far as revving at the girls at mcdonalds?LOL where did that come from?! We don't want to hear about YOUR free time activities :wink: and plus if you are revving at those girls anyways you might have other issues - LOL :roll: to each his own I guess...

Oh and I DO have some lightweight wheels already so + the flywheel -that's the best of both worlds right? :D
right.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”