quick question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

quick question

Post by 94mx3precidia »

hey, so as i was examining my transaxels on my 94 mx-3 i noticed that a wire comming from a sensor in the picture below had been cut off. Now someone here told me that it is the reverse light sensor. I started the car and put it in reverse and no lights come on. If i remove this sensor, will oil come out? and can i simply just sodder the wire back on or will i have to replace it as a whole unit? Any advice would be great.

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can try and soldier it, but it will probably not work. If you remove the sensor it will drain the trans fluid, so drain it with the drain plug first. They are not That expensive from Mazda (I think it was 60+-) or ask someone who is parting a MX-3 if they have one.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its a plug.. you can unplug it from the sensor.. repair it and then plug it back onto the sensor. I will verify this tonight when I am under my GS.. but I am pretty sure thats what it is. Worst case.. you can get another plug from a junkyard or maybe from mazda or even a auto electrician. Keep in mind that the wire may have been intentionally disconnected. If the sensor went bad and the reverse lights stayed on all the time.. that would be the cheapest fix.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

Tunes67 wrote:Its a plug.. you can unplug it from the sensor.. repair it and then plug it back onto the sensor.

Tunes67
thanks, ill try to remove it as a plug. but if that doesnt work i will probably end up draining the trnny fluid and then just unscrew it. Does anyone know where i can view online microfiche's? i know for my motorcycles you can check where and what parts are online.

im not sure if the reverse lights stayed on cuz i got the car used and as-is so it wasnt saftied. what would cause the reverse lights to stay on permanently? a faulty sensor?
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

oh, nevermind i just read what you said about why the reverse lights would stay on, my bad. If you could could you please check out your plug under your gs. ive got the same car and i dont know anything about it. its my first car.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There is a online shop manual for these cars off the main http://www.mx-3.com homepage.. the link is on the left side of the page.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya i saw that, it doesnt tell you what model the manual is for and it covers nothing of the transmission so i cant find the transmission reverse light sensor.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You know.. after looking at the pages in the shop manual.. I dont think it is a plug.. On page J2-012 and J2-013 The shop manual identifies the Reverse Light Switch and from the look of it.. the wires lead directly off the switch to a plug. The good news on that is that it is a simple switch.. unlikely to go bad. And since its not a sensor.. you dont have to worry about damaging it if you try to solder the wire back on.. however.. you will likely have to remove it from the transaxle before you can repair it.

Tunes67

94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya i had a look at the pages you said. for sure its the reverse light switch. my one issue is if i remove it, will oil come out? i dont want to be under the car lying down and taking out something and having oil all over my face. thanks for al the help, appreciate it.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah your going to have to drain the tranny gear oil before you can remove it or you will be getting a oil bath from the look of its location. Make sure you drain it on flat level ground so that you get all of it out.. then refill with 75-90W gear oil. Redline or Royal Purple are decent brand names and have good reputations from those that have used it. (I am using Royal Purple.. but Redline wasnt available at my parts store)

Tunes67

94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ok, ill have a look at them on saturday when i have the time. im also going to change my front drive shafts. ive got the parts and looked through the online manual. Have any tips for me?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah.. the drivers side axle is a pain to get out.. and the passenger side axle is a pain to get back in LOL But other than that its pretty straight forward stuff. Make sure you buy new axle nuts from Mazda.. Dont reuse the old ones.. safety issue. They cost $8 each at mazda.

Tunes67

94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ok, thanks for the help. i dont have a lift so talking the axels in and putting them in is gunna be a challenge for me. why is it a safety issue re-using the old axel nuts?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The axle nuts are sorta crimped down.. you will see what I mean when you remove them. When you crimp them down.. you weaken that area of the metal.. doing it twice in the same spot or even twice in different spots could make the nut weak when it needs to be strong. Mazda says to replace them and since I dont like the idea of my wheel(s) flying off if I am hitting a corner hard n fast.. I figured $16 is cheap insurance ;)

Tunes67

94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

true, true. its the same thing with motorcycles, the cotterpins in the axel holding the nut on have to be replaced everytime or pretty much serious injury.

thanks for the help, if you thinki of anything else let me know. ill be attempting the axels this weekend along with the rotors and break pds. the rotors and break pads are easy to do, ive done them before.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”