my carbon fiber hood looks like crap... help!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

WOW - thanks Eric. I was considering going to buy some 3m stuff but I have used meguiar's consumer products before and enjoyed the results. I think I'll try your approach... because I'm desperate and I would like to try to fix it myself... Do you have an After picture you can post... I won't be able to tackle this until the weekend. Also where can you buy the professional grade stuff?

Your write up is "how-to" or "faq" worthy!! thanks for the info about NOT using a toothbrush LOL :lol:
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Mooneggs wrote:WOW - thanks Eric. I was considering going to buy some 3m stuff but I have used meguiar's consumer products before and enjoyed the results.
I'm glad you found it helpful. Since you mention 3m, I should note that one of the paint and body books I have recommends 3m. I didn't go with it because the autoparts stores around me don't carry it. I got my Meguiars pro stuff at Baxter Auto Parts, which was less expensive than Schucks which also carries it (by about 50 cents per bottle). I don't remember exactly what I paid, but I think it was around $11-12 per bottle.
Do you have an After picture you can post... I won't be able to tackle this until the weekend.
I'll take an after picture the next time we have a decently dry day that I can wash the car and put a coat of detailer on it. By the way, most of the carbon fiber pictures I've seen don't to the cf justice. Depth is best viewed in stereo, why most camers can't achieve. Besides, I shoot on film -- old school. Maybe I'll borrow a digital camera and make a short .mov or to illustrate depth through movement.

Straight on shots show changes in opacity/transparency fairly well. Make sure you also take some low-angle before shots since they will show change in reflection best.

Eric
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

If it works well on the hood I will definately do the rest of my carbon fiber pieces (mirrors, cowl, front lip)... I have taken some pics but you are right about the "stereo" look. You just can't appreciate how it looks until you see it in person!

Someone recommended to me 3m cut and finish but I can't even find any place online that sells it... I'll probably just go the meguiars route since it worked for you! I'll try and take some pics as I'm doing it too.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I am so frustrated right now with this... I spent 3 hours working on this last night and it still didn't seem to lift the oxidation... it's hard to take pics of what I'm talking about because the products DID make it smooth but there is still the underlying problem of... I don't even know what it's called but it's still there. When the car is wet it looks perfect but then when it dries these patches appear. what is this called? clear coat burn? oxidation? I have never attempted any type of restoration like this before and I really have no idea what I'm doing or what to look for... should it be smooth, should I have wetsanded... anything will help at this point!!

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

any input on this would be appreciated!!
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

looks like the clear is fading , I painted some purple accents around the vent lines on mine and sprayed 2 good coats of clear over it

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah I went over to Barry's house yesterday and we talked about it and it has to be the clearcoat fading... his hood is doing the same thing...cause all that stuff I used should have worked. I'm going to go by a detailing shop tomorrow and see what they have to say or if they can recommend anyone in my area. I just didn't want to spend alot but it looks like I'll have to because I have no idea how to clearcoat anything. :crying:
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

I replied via pm.
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

It has to be the clear. He and I have tried everything from wetsanding to claybaring/waxing. Although itwill look good for a few days, it turns back to haze.
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

it's the CLEAR ...I am a auto painter and see this kind of stuff all the time , it just needs to be scuffed and 2-3 coats of clear applied :)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I sanded mine and relcearcoated.. after likema few months the clean started to turn white.. i dont know why :*( it was like cloudy... i finally just sanded her down and painted it the color of my car. It was a sad day indeed.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

there's no way I would paint mine! It defeats the purpose to have all my other CF parts showing then! I am going to talk to someone tonight and see if I can get an estimate...
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

GregoryChristian wrote:it's the CLEAR ...I am a auto painter and see this kind of stuff all the time , it just needs to be scuffed and 2-3 coats of clear applied :)
I agree now!

Basically I took it to a professional detailer yesterday and he said that he could not even fix it and that it would need to be recleared (he is very reputable in Memphis). He recommended someone who could do it so I drove over there and talked to him. This other guy was worried that it was beyond repair! As we were standing there he asked if he could try something and I was like sure... he went and got a rattle can of clear coat and just sprayed a little on the corner and low and behold all of the haze went away!!! we were both kind of shocked that it looked perfect! So anyways he quoted me $150 to get it done right... so I told him I would think about it.

I am thinking I can just go buy some more rattle cans and just spray it myself... but I need some input from all you painters out there... any suggestions? I will probably wetsand the whole hood with 2000 grit just to scuff it up a little... but should I do anything else?? Is there a spraycan clear that is better than others??

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

I wouldn't use can clear , do you or Barry have access to a paint gun and compressor or have any knowledge of how to paint ? if so I can send you some Dupont clear with Hardner & reducer FREE of charge just so it can be done right , let me know :)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

GregoryChristian wrote:I wouldn't use can clear , do you or Barry have access to a paint gun and compressor or have any knowledge of how to paint ? if so I can send you some Dupont clear with Hardner & reducer FREE of charge just so it can be done right , let me know :)
Thanks that's a generous offer! Unfortunately the only experience I have is "priming" with spray cans. I have sanded down my cars and I do have a method where the end result is a very smooth primer job that is consistent.

But as far as paint? NOPE :shrug: I don't think Barry has painted before either... I might know someone who has a paint gun and compressor...
Actually I think Barry has a compressor and I suppose we could go buy a spray gun but aren't those $100 or something for a decent one?

At this point the hood is so bad that ANYTHING would be better even if I did it myself with no experience. I may take you up on your offer since now that I think about it there is a guy that said he would clear it for me if I had some clear... I'm sure he would do Barry's too!

Return to “Appearance”