Starting issues

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
JCS

Starting issues

Post by JCS »

Well, as the title states, i've been having some issues with my '92 MX3 starting properly. It just happened the other day for the first time. I got in it to go to town, and it acted like it was going to start, so I let off the key. It didn't start, so I tried again and it just cranked and cranked. I got out and inspected the wires on the distributor because they like to come off sometimes, and I noticed the one going to the coil was slightly loose, so I took it all the way off, and then put it on properly. I went inside to get something, came back out, and it fired right up. I assumed that the only problem was the wire being loose, but it happened again 2 days ago. I got out and inspected the wires again to see if they had slipped loose, but they were still in place. I got back in the car after a short inspection, and it fired up after a couple tries. Once the car is finally started, it runs strong as it ever did (as strong as a stock 1.6l can be, I guess..lol). I have a couple ideas but i'd like any opinions/suggestions because i'm no expert, and I don't want to just start replacing things and hope the problem disappears. Thanks in advance for any help.
JCS

Post by JCS »

Hmmm...no suggestions? :(

Anybody think it could just be vapor locking?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

The list of things i would think about checking are -
Distributor cap, rotor, Ignitor module
Spark plugs & plug wires
Fuel Filter
Vaccum leak in the intake tube....
JCS

Post by JCS »

I didn't think it would be a problem in the ignition/fuel system since it runs perfectly fine after it's started. I'm not sure though, so i'll check it out. Thanks :)
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

If you have a SOHC is sounds like the ignitor is ready to fail. It is becoming a very common problem with a the older B series engine with the external coil distributor. It is even more likely to happen on a wet day. When it fails completely you will need to replace the distributor completely as the ignitor is no longer available as a seperate part.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”