Wont start after winter storage

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Sookys

Wont start after winter storage

Post by Sookys »

So I stored my 1992 MX-3 over the winter, I started it once about 3 weeks ago, it started but it bogged very very badly after trying to start it for about a minute. Now it's time to get it on the road but it just wont start. Tried flooring it, not flooring it, I can smell gasoline inside the car and around when I step outside, dont know where from though. Plugs have spark, dunno if it helps but my car burns oil, its getting gas, I just dont know why it wont start. I dunno much about cars but I really wanna start learning.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

your battery's probably dead
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Sookys

Post by Sookys »

Nopers.. my dad knows tons about cars, hes worked on them for years and years.. battery is fine, car turns over, sounds like its about to start, but just doesnt. :cry: Because it sat for a long time, is it possible my timing belt skipped a tooth? it would explain the poor performance and unspent fuel due to off-timing
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

usually you cant skip a tooth on a timing belt unless the belt is actually moving, sounds like an old problem that kevin had when he started his car after sitting for 4 months, did you drain the fuel tank and put fresh clean fuel in it, since gas will break down over time
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Sookys

Post by Sookys »

Well I had it running for about a minute 3ish weeks ago or so, but no, I didnt drain the fuel. Were gonna run a compression test first, among probably many other things. Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks for the comments, wanna get my baby back on the road =/
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

i think its bad gas its common after storing it.. drain it all and put fresh stuff in it
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Cy

Post by Cy »

fieromx3 wrote:i think its bad gas its common after storing it.. drain it all and put fresh stuff in it
x2

Put a liter of 70% rubbing alcohol in the tank and leave it for a day....unhook the lines from the pump and the fuel rail and blow them out....as that gas may have gel'd up...
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

Cy wrote:
fieromx3 wrote:i think its bad gas its common after storing it.. drain it all and put fresh stuff in it
x2

Put a liter of 70% rubbing alcohol in the tank and leave it for a day....unhook the lines from the pump and the fuel rail and blow them out....as that gas may have gel'd up...
x2 again :P lol gas overtime can become bad and become ''geld'' ive had it happen on some injectors ive had where the gas inside of them became geld or gummy and clogged the injectors completly from them sitting to long
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

X3
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

X4

Gotta fit in here. :lol:
Cody
Sookys

Post by Sookys »

Alrighty I will try that, thank you all very much for the replies. I'll get back to you probably tomorrow with the results =]
Sookys

Post by Sookys »

Alrighty well Ive been sorta busy this weekend and whatnot. (Sold my yz 125 =/ ) But we did drain the gas and take out the fuel pump, I was surprised how easily the backseat cushions came out. 5 minutes. =] The gas was pretty murky and had a bunch of residue on the bottom. Gonna put new gas in tomorrow and whatnot, I'll get back to you :wink:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”