315,000km and still counting

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Princess*Precidia

315,000km and still counting

Post by Princess*Precidia »

So...Im thinking I should really get a new engine over the summer, ive got a 93 Mx-3, its an automatic (kinda sucks) and I've also got a 95 MX-3 DOHC engine in my Garage (with auto tranny) that we pulled out of my old car. the body was in bad shape, and my current 93 has got a SOHC engine in it. Nothing has ever been done to it...other then the occiasional fixing that it required...but with that much km's on it...maybe its time for a new one....

what do you guys think...now my knowledge with cars isnt as good as yours might be :oops:
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

From what I've read throughout the articles here, swapping the 94+ engines (~110HP 4cyl 1.6L DOHC) into a 92/93 (~88HP 4cyl 1.6L SOHC) car will not be a straight bolt-on as the entire computer and electrical system is different.
Ideally, you would swap in a BP (~125HP 4Cyl 1.8L DOHC) or a BP-T (Same, but turboed - ~160HP+) which has quite a bit more power and is fairly straightforward (for the mechanical types).

Congrats on keeping your car running that long! I just hit 309,000 today on my way to Red Deer this morning.
Princess*Precidia

Yea thats what I heard that the straight bolt on wouldnt work and all the electrical stuff would have to be re-done, which is why i havent done anything with that engine..
she still runs good...but the time will come where one morning she wont start...and i know NOTHING about engine swaps :(
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

If you have another vehicle that you can use during a swap, I'm sure there are tonnes of people in Calgary that would be willing to help.
Princess*Precidia

That would be pretty cool, gonna have to start asking around
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hey here is my input on this situation lol

Buy a cheap one, V6, decent body. Build it up. Thats what I did. It still had 327xxx on it but i got it for $500, blown KLDE, i dropped a new one in, $800, installation, $400. im looking at a $1700 car that goes fast. To fix the minor rust underneath. well the frame was cracked in one spot and falling off. its $600. That brings that total to $2300 for a good body, fast car. Then u can part out your current 4cyl auto car. (get a standard lol) prolly make roughly $1000 on it if not more then sell the frame to a wreckers for $50. You end up coming out for about $1200-$1300 for a kickass car lol.
Matt

Post by Matt »

oh and my beast has a current total of 329855 today lol. And she is going for a nice drive to edmonton june 29 :P lol.
Princess*Precidia

WOW...so there is MX-3 with more milage then me haha.
I just got back from edmonton last nite..and the only advice i can give you with that city ...WATCH OUT for potholes..its insane...theres actually DEEP holes in the streets that will either take your tire off or blow it.
I dont drive my precidia to edmonton..its way to risky...especially cuz theres a weird klunking noise on my front drivers side i think it could be a strut or something. I took my moms Buick Century to avoid breaking something on my car.

just a heads up :D
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

So you bust up your Mom's Buick. Nice.

310,000 here now. Catching up to you guys!
MX34M3
BANNED Member

Post by MX34M3 »

damn I thought my 265k was high (on the body)
Banned for not following rules.
Princess*Precidia

Haha...well the 05' Buick Century can take a better beating then my precidia thats for sure. I think id come back with no tires if i woulda taken her up there.

Buicks are good for potholes...cant even feel them...kinda! :driver:
Princess*Precidia

Plus..I wouldnt want anything like THIS happening again if I lost a tire...

Darcy

Post by Darcy »

*cringe*

that looks nasty. Are those both your cars?
Princess*Precidia

Doesnt it? took a bad turn on 4th street by crescent heights over a year ago...hit black ice and went flying over a median...was pretty bad.

yes those are both my cars, the crashed one is at a junkyard now...ive still got its tranny and engine tho...
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

you should prime it and at least get it one color - it's a good cheap temporary fix that you can do yourself! :D

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”