Displaying your cam gears...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shades

Displaying your cam gears...

Post by Shades »

... just getting a feel for how you guys with adjustable cam gears showed them off.

That's how it looks now and it looks kinda stupid... plus it could be very dangerous if something were to fall down there.

Wish it could just look like that and have no worries... yeah right!
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Yeah. Better to keep em covered once the adjustment is dialed in.
Image -Jim
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

have someone cast/mold your present cover in clear hi-temp plastic...

i know you can get valve covers with clear plexi-inserts for some chevy small blocks...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
Cy

Post by Cy »

lycanthrope wrote:have someone cast/mold your present cover in clear hi-temp plastic...

i know you can get valve covers with clear plexi-inserts for some chevy small blocks...
that would be SUPERMEGA B%#^%IN
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I have seen some guys here run their engines with the cam gears and timing belts exposed for years. I imagine you would have to make sure engine is kept pretty clean and watch out dust, dirt and debris a whole lot more.

The best solution is really a modified cover or a clear one.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

ive had mine exposed for almost five years now... no problems.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

i would just cut the sides out of the cover, leave the lip on the top to prevent anythign from falling on it, but cut the sides so you can adjust and see them, but mainly keep the entire belt area covered
Cy

Post by Cy »

HOW-TO...

Buy some 1/4" to 1/2" thick clear acrylic..and acrylic glue...

Take a piece of sheet metal and bend it into the shape you want to cover your gears..

Place a piece of acrylic over the metal form with atleast and inch over all the edges...

Put it on an old cookie sheet and heat the METAL up with a heat gun on a low setting... it will start to fall over the form....If it's not falling properly onto the form you can use a metal roller that's been heated in the oven to 80C-100C..enough to not shock-cool the piece but not hot enough to put marks or boils in it...

Cut tabs to extend out to the last to bolts on the valve cover and glue them on, After the piece has cooled...

I've made a couple of things this way... never used any Hi-temp plastics though...
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i have my timing belt cover off of years and nothing has ever happen to me. im boosted now and still have them off. damn consertive mazda owners
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Cy

Post by Cy »

if you have it use it... (i've got a 95+BP...solid cover...it looks good...)

i only tweek on the dyno anyways so there's no point in taking the chance...
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

In my case it's not about being "conservative" so much as not liking the underhood racket with the gears exposed. I just picked up a set of stage2 cams and plan to use a spare (cut) valve cover that exposes the cam gears, until things are dialed in. Then the uncut valve cover goes back on. To each his own... :shrug:
Image -Jim

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”