Alternator wiring question

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
hpcbmw

Alternator wiring question

Post by hpcbmw »

I decided to install some extra ground wires in hopes of improving the idle (gets really low when warm, with headlights and brakes on) and the headlight brightness. I ran an addtl ground wire from battery negative to stock ground block, and a ground wire from a/c bracket to right strut nut (one of the three nuts in right side engine compartment). Then I got a wild idea and ran a direct hot wire from battery positive to the hot lead on the alternator. Now, i'm thinking that the lead to the alternator was rather small, and I added a second 4 gauge wire - maybe I'm getting to much electricity to the alternator?

The car runs fine, no change in the idle or headlight brightness noticeable (well - headlights may be brighter, but I also sanded and compounded and polished the headlights, so they are clearer).

Anyone think i did a bad thing by running direct 4 gauge wire from batt positive to alt positive?

Thanks for any input.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Nope, it's fine. The standard wiring is basically the same thing. It should be fused though.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”