new mazda mx3 problems

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

hey , i just bought a 1994 mazda mx3 i4

its my first car and i love it

but i have a few problems

first , my car is bumpy when it is accelerating

this happened form one day to another

it shakes when im in drive and parked at a stop light or something ,

my muffler is poofing like crazy and loud , i checked all everything the motor fuel was dangerously low so i bought some

i added brake fluid everything that can be added , but the car is still having a rough idle

i checked the transmission fule and its light brown

what can that mean

also what can the problem be when the air is on it shakes even more
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Hehhe, whoa.

Well first of all I can only assume you are talking about the engine oil when you say "motor fuel" and you should check every time you get gas and make sure it is up. If you find that the oil level drops a signifigant amout every time you check it then your engine is burning more oil than a car should. If you find you have to put in a liter or more of oil between fill ups then you should bring your car in to a mechanic and have it checked out. If its burning it like that then it will probally require major sugery (Engine rebuild) which can be expensive, depending on who you know.

Besides the oil, there are many things that can cause a studdering problem like what you describe. The first thing I recomend doing is a tune up. If you just bought the car and havent done anything to it in the way of matintenance then I recomend a new set of spark plugs and wires, a new distributor cap and rotor button, and a oil change. Doing that will help make sure its not something simple like fouled up worn out plugs or a break in your wires.

If that dosent fix your problem then there are other things you can have checked. The car could be running overly rich due to a bad oxygen sensor. They can be annoyingly expensive, Around 80 cdn.. theres basically no way to check to see if yours is gone either its just something you should change when you do a tune up. It all really depends on how much you want to spend on a tune up because if your strapped for cash then it might be difficult to fix it all in one shot.

Basically you want to make sure your problem isnt caused by simple things before you get into any major work.

If you want to do a full tune up on your car this is basically what you will want to change.

-Spark plugs
-Spark plug wires
-Distributor cap and rotor button
-Engine Oil and Filter
-Fuel filter
-Air filter
-Oxygen sensor
-Thermostat

These are just some things that I would change but not everyone feels it nessicary to change things such as the thermostat or fuel filter its just how I would do it.

Good luck!
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
xboxlivemonkey

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

Franko wrote:Hehhe, whoa.

Well first of all I can only assume you are talking about the engine oil when you say "motor fuel" and you should check every time you get gas and make sure it is up. If you find that the oil level drops a signifigant amout every time you check it then your engine is burning more oil than a car should. If you find you have to put in a liter or more of oil between fill ups then you should bring your car in to a mechanic and have it checked out. If its burning it like that then it will probally require major sugery (Engine rebuild) which can be expensive, depending on who you know.

Besides the oil, there are many things that can cause a studdering problem like what you describe. The first thing I recomend doing is a tune up. If you just bought the car and havent done anything to it in the way of matintenance then I recomend a new set of spark plugs and wires, a new distributor cap and rotor button, and a oil change. Doing that will help make sure its not something simple like fouled up worn out plugs or a break in your wires.

If that dosent fix your problem then there are other things you can have checked. The car could be running overly rich due to a bad oxygen sensor. They can be annoyingly expensive, Around 80 cdn.. theres basically no way to check to see if yours is gone either its just something you should change when you do a tune up. It all really depends on how much you want to spend on a tune up because if your strapped for cash then it might be difficult to fix it all in one shot.

Basically you want to make sure your problem isnt caused by simple things before you get into any major work.

If you want to do a full tune up on your car this is basically what you will want to change.

-Spark plugs
-Spark plug wires
-Engine Oil and Filter
-Fuel filter
-Air filter
-Oxygen sensor
-Thermostat

These are just some things that I would change but not everyone feels it nessicary to change things such as the thermostat or fuel filter its just how I would do it.

Good luck!
well the air filter is clean i checked it , i am for sure going to do the tune up
but have no money just for the oil filter ,s-p s-p wires and rotor cap

i was told 80 bucks but still no money
i added transmission fluid and it rides some what better its still puffing near the motor :?

yea the engoine oil was the motor fule sorry thanks for the info

i also found thsi which could be why the car shakes

http://www.mx-3.com/tsb/b006-95-2.gif

any more help ???
reegler

Post by reegler »

What are you RPM's at idle?
xboxlivemonkey

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

[quote="reegler"]What are you RPM's at idle?[/quote]

cant say at the moment but in drive it goes up a bit and in park it lowers

i will give u a real answer in a few hours or so , im at my g-fs house ill go out side in a min actually
xboxlivemonkey

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

[quote="reegler"]What are you RPM's at idle?[/quote]

um.........on drive its over the fiurst line that shows up after the zero not much

and in park it lowers a bit

but almost no rpms at all

also my car seems to rattle when its over 2 rpms and goes to first or second gear
xboxlivemonkey

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

[quote="Franko"]Hehhe, whoa.

-Spark plugs
-Spark plug wires
-Engine Oil and Filter
-Fuel filter
-Air filter
-Oxygen sensor
-Thermostat

Good luck![/quote]

thanks for your help its very usefull , i will try and do this a.s.a.p my friend who works on mustangs told me to do this but since mazdas are imports i wanted mazda owners lol thank you
xboxlivemonkey

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

ok i did the tune up my self along with my brother ,

the car works WAY BETTER hehe

i used denso u groove plugs

and GP Sorensen ( heard they sucked but i needed somthing quick and cheap )

and duralast wire set

still shakes but not much as it did before
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

In addition to inspecting your engine mounts to see if any need replacement, remove and closely inspect all sides of the large black ribbed air intake hose for hairline cracks, which can allow unmetered air to leak into the intake airstream, causing rough idle, random RPM drop, and stalling if the cracks are large - esp on accelleration or decelleration conditions when the engine "flexes" a bit. The engine mounts are designed to allow (normal) engine flex. However, that flexing action can momentarily widen intake hose cracks. Hose cracks typically begin out of sight on the underside of the hose between the ribs. If any cracks are found, replace the hose altho a temporary fix is to tightly wrap duct tape aound the hose to seal air leakage thru any cracks.
Image -Jim
Deadpool

Post by Deadpool »

or just replace the rubber pipe with some nice 3 inch mandrel bent pipe and a K&N cone filter :wink:
94 Mazda MX-3
Mods - none yet

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”