V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MazdaNoob123

Some Swap Questions

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

well its been in my head for awhile now "Im gonna swap"
I have a 92 MX-3
heres my choices
KL-ZE: 750$
I wouldnt know what year of a KLZE i was getting.
Please Someone that has done a KLZE sec gen swap to a post OBDII car please let me know what additional problems you faced.
In addition to this i would be buying a gasket set and tearing it down to put my valve train from my K8 in it. Along with a couple of other things.

91-93 KL-DE: 750 from a local junk yard
The miles on this motor is unknown.
I guess the miles just concern me.

Id also like to know if its possible to use the K8 intake manifold on the KLDE/KLZE. I know you would have to port match it.

Id like to know what you guys think i should do
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

the k8 manifold will fit on all k series engines. Its just putting it on a 2.5L is quite a bottle neck and restricts the engine potential to perform. If the de and the ze are the same price, it would be best to just get the klze, lower mileage, and you'll be putting in fresh gaskets, so it should last longer.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Yea ima get a KLZE
after talking with the guy, he said he had a 91-93 KLZE.
I thought if you port matched the K8 IM, that the horsepower curve was the same.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Coveys wants $300 for a Millenia IM
enough know of one for about $60 shipped ?
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

good luck finding a millenia intake for that cheap, if you hold out for a while you might find one, Ive been looking for one for like 1.5years and i finally got one like in december for 40 bucks. You might want to check
http://www.car-parts.com
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Actually the place im getting the motors from has a curved neck KLZE
for ~750.

This brings me back to the question of how hard is it to put a OBDII in a OBDI car?
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

Not to sure, but it has been done many many times, i think you just have to swap over your original sensors, but i have heard that the crank sensor doesnt plug in and has to be spliced onto a diffrent plug end, but dont quote me on that. Just take a look at the sensors and make sure they look the same, and everything should work out good for you.

1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I could be wrong, but i think it might be as easy as swapping over all your obdI sensors into the obdII motor so they will plug into your harness. I am not sure if there are additional sensors on the obdII motor.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

I know you have to tap a hole or something.
But my car needs an Electrical overhaul anyway
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Well what one
Curved Neck
KLZE with kl-01 Cams
or
I get a 91-93 Straight Neck KLZE and I port match my K8 IM
and get to have KL-31 cams.

Which One ?

also
if i use my K8 ecu on a KLZE
isnt it going to really hurt the performance of it?
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If i were you i would go for the straight neck klze with kl31 cams. Than switch to a millenia manifold. If you are going to swap take your time and do the swap right. I wouldnt put the k8 manifold on your brand new ze and restrict the power. Get the straight neck with better cams. Take your time and source a millenia manifold. You could probably even sell the straight neck on probetalk since that is an upgrade for probe guys and they dont have any fitment issues.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

the straight neck intake fits on nicly, i had one on my car for a couple months. You just need to modify several things.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”