Idle problmes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dlish

Idle problmes

Post by Dlish »

An odd thing has started to happen to my car over the last few days. In the past it has always ticked over at about 600 - 700rpm (starting of abouy 2500 when cold) but this week this seems to be randomly going up and back to normal. For example this morning after it has warmed up it idling at 1000 - 1200rmp and yesterday morning after warm up this was nearer 1500 - 1600rpm but this does go back to normal sometimes if it is driven a bit more.

The other symptom that seems to be accompanying this is that car seems to shake when it's ticking over. Not all the time but sometimes when the tick over is higher. It's not that noticeable but you can feel it as a rumble through the car in time with the revs but not as bad as a misfire. Oh and when you put on the lights / blowers etc the idle sometimes increases but as far as I know this is normal but it does seem more noticeable when it’s idling higher than normal.

Anyone got any ideas what’s up or even where to start looking?

Thanks in advance,
Darren.
1996 GS K8 Red With TermoBlok Spacer Kit, Black Diamond Disk and Pads All Round, Custom Exhaust with Hi-Flow Cat, Rota 16" Grid Alloys & PRM Air Intake.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Check the radiator fluid level, if ok then you need to check for vaccum leaks and maybe reset the TPS. A search will tell you how to reset the TPS and how to check for vaccum leaks. good luck-
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Dlish

Post by Dlish »

Damn you guys are good. Just popped the bonnet and I can hear air whisteling into the engine from somewhere so it looks like a vacuum leak somewhere down in the middle of everything. Just need to find it once the motor has cooled down.

Thanks for all the help.
1996 GS K8 Red With TermoBlok Spacer Kit, Black Diamond Disk and Pads All Round, Custom Exhaust with Hi-Flow Cat, Rota 16" Grid Alloys & PRM Air Intake.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Yiu will hear air going down the center of the motor, thats flowing through the intake runners.. Use a vaccume gauge, thats the best way to check.
petekav

Post by petekav »

Guys, I have a similar idle problem - started a few days ago.

Was worried that something was seriously wrong with the engine, but after reading this thread (plus a few others) I checked all my pipes/hoses.

Sure enough today I have found a 1.5" vertical crack in the big tube that connects the airfilter to the inlet manifold. Located right in one of the "valleys" of the concertina part, so to speak.

So the question now is what is the best way to fix it?
I am guessing that to get a replacement from a Mazda dealer here in Ireland for a 14 year-old car is at best going to be expensive and at worst impossible!
It is worth noting that there are very few MX-3s in scrap/breakers' yards here. BTW, does anyone know the part number for this pipe?

Is there a budget solution? I was wondering about using so serious duct-tape, or some silicone?

Thanks, Pete.
Stock '93 V6.
boo-mx3

Post by boo-mx3 »

i thought that was just a thick tubing but now ya got me wondering?? if it is though you should be able to just take it off and get one cut to length from a local garage or buy some at an auto parts store.
Dlish

Post by Dlish »

Yeah I had exactly the same problem and I just put electricians tape over the hole which worked fine until I got a new part. Just wrapped it round a few times and it was sorted. £65 from Mazda by the way but I wouldn't bother with the scrappy as theirs will probably crack when you try to take them off and put it onto you car.

If you ring Mazda and ask for the Air Intake Hose they should know what you are taking about and should be able to get the correct one if they know you registration number.

Cheers
Dlish

Post by Dlish »

Well finally managed to have a good look at the problem and it seems that one of the gaskets on on my Thermo Block spacers has gone and is letting the air in :(

Anyone out there had a problem with these or am I just unlucky? Just seems like an odd gasket to go as I cannot imagine there is that much pressure on them :?
Badam

Post by Badam »

Dlish wrote: it seems that one of the gaskets on on my Thermo Block spacers has gone and is letting the air in :(
Can you be more specific? It's completely gone, or it cracked in a few places and a portion of the gasket is gone? ...and where did it go, I wonder!??
Dlish

Post by Dlish »

I haven't taken it apart yet but from what I can see part of the gasket is hanging out from between the spacers and the intake manifold.

It seems to have blown in that spot but outwards which is odd, this being a vacuum and all that.

Not sure if that helps any
Dave262

Post by Dave262 »

Hi

I'm having this same problem too with a 1997 1.8L v6 eunos 30x - although it seems to mainly happen when cold. When I start the car in the mornings it revs up to about 1200rpm, then gradually increases up to over 2000rpm in park. It got up to about 2500rpm this morning! As soon as I put it into D though it drops right down and idles ok. It tends to shake occasionally too and does have a pulsating vibration too.

I know the oxy sensors are all dead, but could the TPS be at fault here? If I just touch the accelerator it seems to make the engine rev instantly to over 1000 rpm in any gear, which makes me suspect TPS. I can't hear any hissing noises from engine bay though. I haven't been able to find any cracked hoses so far.

Thanks!
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

petekav wrote:Guys, I have a similar idle problem - started a few days ago.

Was worried that something was seriously wrong with the engine, but after reading this thread (plus a few others) I checked all my pipes/hoses.

Sure enough today I have found a 1.5" vertical crack in the big tube that connects the airfilter to the inlet manifold. Located right in one of the "valleys" of the concertina part, so to speak.

So the question now is what is the best way to fix it?
I am guessing that to get a replacement from a Mazda dealer here in Ireland for a 14 year-old car is at best going to be expensive and at worst impossible!
It is worth noting that there are very few MX-3s in scrap/breakers' yards here. BTW, does anyone know the part number for this pipe?

Is there a budget solution? I was wondering about using so serious duct-tape, or some silicone?

Thanks, Pete.

cheapest way to fix that tube it with shoe goo ,it's strong and durable as long as you clean the area verry well , or you could just replace the entire thing with an integra CAI off ebay there only like 20$us.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”