How do remove the alternator?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Ski_luvr74

How do remove the alternator?

Post by Ski_luvr74 »

I have a 1993 MX3, and I have the alternator loose, and free from the electrical. I can't seem to get the alternator out of the car. If anyone has any information on how to do this, please let me know. My e-mail is Ski_luvr74@yahoo.com
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

it depends, if you have air conditioning, you have to take out the rad, or atleast lift it up, I have done it with out disconnecting the rad hoses and just pulling it out. If you dont have a/c you just take the alternator out the bottom.

-Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Moved to 4cl Tech.
piper177

Post by piper177 »

As stated before it all depends on whether you have a/c or not. If you don't then there is a bolt underneath that you must remove. Are you forgetting that? You must also take the bracket out because It will get in the way.

Can't really be of much more help until you let us know if you have a/c or not.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

umm I think you guys are thinking about the v6. :roll:

You can remove the 4-cyl alternator from the bottom, or remove your battery and take it out from the battery side, after passing underneath the Intake manifold.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

lmao how do you guys figure, he was so vague on his problem, he didnt even say if it was a 4cyl or a 6cyl. I think he needs to confirm the engine he has.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
piper177

Post by piper177 »

Seeing as it was in the 4-cyl forum I felt safe to assume he was talking about a 4-cylinder engine...

And the way I described it was for the 4-cyl because thats how I remove mine.
lost_mx3

Post by lost_mx3 »

I had to unbolt the exhaust by the oil pan, and then shove it down between the steering and axel. 3 times! 1) stock with bad bearings 2) new one from autozone - dead 3) new one from autozone - 15 amp output and lasted 1 day. SO the 3rd one they got for me works great. Total PITA for me. Hope your new one is good!
1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC 5SP.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

In my 94 RS DOHC engine.. (No AC) With 2 people.. one above one under the car.. we were able to feed the alternator out the top.. behind the intake on the passenger side of the car.. in retrospect.. it would have been a lot easier if I had taken off my strut tower bar before trying to feed it out.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Ski_luvr74

Post by Ski_luvr74 »

Thanks everyone! However, I was able to get it out of my 4 cyl. (Yes, that's why I posted in 4 cyl.), by undoing the exhaust tube and dropping it out the bottom. I have a/c, and believe me, that doesn't matter.

Anyway, I was able to get it out, and get the new one in. Hopefully, I won't have any problems with this one. But who knows. Thanks again to you all.
lost_mx3

Post by lost_mx3 »

Good to hear you got it fixed!
1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC 5SP.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”