When I took It to aamco

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Slickjr09

When I took It to aamco

Post by Slickjr09 »

Ok, so i have a 92 mx3 v6, i took it to aamco tranmisions to do a free "Protect Check" the guy said he did everything look under the hood, brakes, an all that, first he said i Need all new brakes and im gona want new roders, and wanted to charge me over 600$ for this know all that i can do own my own, but then he said my trans is bad, and its leaking fluid so i asked him if it needed a whole new trans he said they dont do that, they take it apart and fix it and to take it out to look at it it will coast 395 and then he will tell me how much it will coast to buy the parts, he said around 1200 + the 395, its not slipping at all but he said it will soon, and if i take it somewhere else they wont fix it, but i just bought this car i was so happy when i got it and now i think its gonna die on me, and the engine light is on, he told me the codes were 02-No dist pick up signal and 09-No NEI or NEL(cant tell his hand writting) firt thay dont seem like codes but there codes mabie for the shop, and does any body know what the heck they are, is it the whole disty cap or??? and the NEI what is that or NEL.. sorry,, and my car doesnt start on the first time, he said he didnt notice it because he didnt drive it in the shop but he said it could be the no disty pickup..... can somebody give me advice on any of this please..... thanks alot and do these look good to buy for around 120$ so i can change them and not have aamco do it for 600$ thanks
-mike
1992 Automatic Mazda MX-3 GS
Slickjr09

Post by Slickjr09 »

Heres what i asked if it looked good

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-MX ... dZViewItem
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey just reading that and i think right off the bat he jsut wants your money...do you know this guy or no a guy who can check it for you...id say leave the trans alone untill it actually messes up cause it might no ..
i personally have my chekc engine light on all the time ..i no a few people at mazda and they scanned it and said its sjut some sensors from my motor are not hooked up ( i had a new k8 put in b4 i bought it) might be same thing with you..id check that at another place tho...breaks you can do very easily by ur self then id do em your self..you can get rotors off ebay for liek 150 for all 4...and you can probably get used calipers that some one changed or are parting out.. jsut my opinion but every one hears that machanics will say you neeed to do it but you dont need to in reality ..msot of the time
Slickjr09

Post by Slickjr09 »

cait i use my calipers?
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

oh yea i jsut didnt no what part of your breaks were "bad" if its rotars replace em your self.. if your calipers are fine...maybe need new pads but 150 off ebay and your set for rotars.. i wouldnt trust em and if your clutch is slipping replace the clutch...oem replacement for a k8 is liek $120 off ebay...if you own a manual you can do that your self to...id say do the rotors if there not true any more and then play the clutch by feel i guess..
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Definetly do the brakes yourself. That'll only cost you $100-200, depending on what brands you buy. Check your transmission fluid. I think you do that by unscrewing the speedo cable off the tranny. If it's not low, I don't see why you need to change your tranny if your car isn't sluggish, and your clutch isn't going out. There are alot of places that will try and get you to pay for repairs that your car doesn't need. I always use Firestone's vehicle inspection services($20) to find out some of my problems. Once in awhile there'll lie about parts I need, so if you can learn to fix your car yourself, or find a good friend to help, that will save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

yeah aamco kicked me in the pants on my tranny.... it cost 2200 for a rebuild the guy told me should only cost 1500 ..... he kept calling me and telling me ... you need a new shifter ... you need new axles .... you need this ... you need that .... and he already had the tranny out of the car apart so i just blindly threw money at him.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There are worse things you could have done.. but.. be smart when you pick the car up.. make them give you all the OLD parts. In fact.. call them as soon as you can and request that they save all the old parts for you. This will ensure that they do indeed replace everything they say they are and not just say they did and charge you for it.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Slickjr09

Post by Slickjr09 »

yea im just not even gonna take it to them, and does anybody know about triton rotors ad brakes

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”