Safe boost level.....

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Safe boost level.....

Post by cjthor »

Ok...
cometic head gasket
ARP studs
weisco pistons
b6t rods
Whats safe for boost? im hitting 18psi and wonder how much more can my motor take without going kaboom? garrett gt2871R turbo fyi.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Which B6T rods are you running? The GTX rods (which have a larger base at the bottom of the beam and a little larger rib up and over the wrist pin area...they may even be a stronger matterial, but that I don't know) I'd estimate they'll hold up to around 400WHP for a good while as they were used in the 88-89 323 GTX's to win the class N World Ralley championship both years in a row...I believe they were running around 320HP with the ralley cars. The other rods are the same as the Miata rods...aka small B6 rods. If these are what you have then HP & torque are your limitations and I don't recommend over 300-350WHP on those if you want the motor to last for a long time. I ran the small rods in my test engine and it took 26psi on a GT3076R for about 10,000miles before metal fatigue snapped the #1 rod just below the wrist pin. We had the timing very conservative and estimated around 400+WHP on average with that engine.

As for the other components...they will hold up just fine, your turbo might give up before those parts do...unless your detinating. My test engine only had ARP head studs and a Fel-Pro MLS head gasket...the rest was stock.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Probly safe to run 20psi, anymore then that ur gonna need some better internals i think. of a really good tune.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I agree with Trevo123 here, I wouldnt risk running more than 20psi on the motor on a continous basis.

First of all I am not sure how you will manage you drive the car on the street at 20psi without being real careful, mine is really a handfull at 12psi on the VJ-11 turbo which seems to be always on boost.

Great going with the dyno result of 300whp, nice numbers for a 1600cc motor. You just need to get some 1/4mile numbers now.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

The pistons and rods should be rated for 30psi... But I would not go over 400hp. I'm not too sure what turbo/cfpm they were originally rated for.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I dont recall B6T rods being rated for 30psi, I think you might be confusing them with the GTR rods from GTR BPT engine.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

My bad.... I was thinking of the GTR rods.

Return to “Forced Induction”