how do i wire my voltmeter

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
96mx-3

how do i wire my voltmeter

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey i have an auto meter volt meter ..came in the car but not hooked up...
i wanna run it offf the battery cause i cant think of a better use...( reading volts from battery)...but running it off the battery it would be on all the time...i also have a switch (liek a battle switch) but i cant figure out how to wire it sso that when i flick the switch it will turn on the volt meter for me to read...can anyone help me out...
almost had an electrical fire yesterday :(
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

You can connect the positive wire from the new voltmeter gauge to any wire that already gets 12V when in the "ON" position of the ignition key, like the cigarette lighter for example. No need for a dedicated installed "on" switch for the voltmeter.
Image -Jim
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

yea i know but i have a switch i midaswell use it...plus if its to the ciggarett lighter doesnt it jsut read the volts off that...nto very usefull for me... or is that liek battery to basicly ?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

96mx-3 wrote:yea i know but i have a switch i midaswell use it...plus if its to the ciggarett lighter doesnt it jsut read the volts off that...nto very usefull for me... or is that liek battery to basicly ?
12volts is 12volts, doesn't matter what or where it is. If you find a wire that's supposed to have 12volts, you can use it. And don't bother with a switch for it, it eats less power than the clock when the cars off.
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

alright i didnt no it doesnt matter where its read off of thanks..but sencei have a switch in there im gunan hook it up or ill have a hole on my centerconsol...do i wire the meter to the switch then the switch to the ciggarett lighter ?
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

If you MUST use your little switch, it doesn't really matter where you wire it in. Either between the battery and the guage, or between the guage and the ground: in either place, it will still interupt your circut and stop the flow of electricity...
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”