retrofitted projectors are done!!!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
hharb

Post by hharb »

hey Kevin i was wondering what set of fog lights did you buy? obviously the one that worked lol.
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

hharb wrote:hey Kevin i was wondering what set of fog lights did you buy? obviously the one that worked lol.
i actually found them at walmart, lol. they were the smallest circular fogs i could find. i think they are 3" in diameter and $50 CDN. PLEASE don't use the supplied wiring harness, they are like 18-20 gauge wires and the relay is real crappy.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Nice look, but the caulking looks crappy!
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

PatMX3 wrote:Nice look, but the caulking looks crappy!
ya, i know. :oops:

i'm thinking i will paint the outer area of the lens black as well to hide it better.
kevin (aka The Oven)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

A bit of masking tape and some spray paint and they will look clean.
FYI, in the future if you need a clean silicone bead: tape a line where you want the silicone to stop (like masking an area that is not to be painted). Then apply the silicone, then you can "tool" the silicone bead with your finger or a tooling tool (sounds funny). Then quickly remove the tape while the silicone is still wet. It might leave a small ridge of silicone at the tapes edge, but it will be the same line that you layed out in tape.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

PATDIESEL wrote:A bit of masking tape and some spray paint and they will look clean.
FYI, in the future if you need a clean silicone bead: tape a line where you want the silicone to stop (like masking an area that is not to be painted). Then apply the silicone, then you can "tool" the silicone bead with your finger or a tooling tool (sounds funny). Then quickly remove the tape while the silicone is still wet. It might leave a small ridge of silicone at the tapes edge, but it will be the same line that you layed out in tape.
lol, thanks pat. i do know how to apply silicone, but that stuff isn't silicone. it's actually hot glue. my thought was to have an easy way to open up the lights if neccessary without having to toss everything into the oven. so now i can just grab a heat gun and open them up while they're still on the car if i wanted. but again, thanks for the advice.
kevin (aka The Oven)
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah NP, it doesn't look that bad to me to start with. A bit of paint and you won't see it at all.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hharb

Post by hharb »

have u considered tint? like a tinted headlight protection film... im not sure if it will cover it all up or hide it completely but im sure i'll make it look better. in any case your headlights do look great.
IslandMx3

Post by IslandMx3 »

hey oven
are u considering taking on projects like this for people who are willing to pay money.
hid-planet people arent doing mx-3's, or i havent found any yet. so basically if you have done this recently, it should be pretty easy to repeat it?
will pay money for supplies, labor, everything?
lemme know
cheers
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

IslandMx3 wrote:hey oven
are u considering taking on projects like this for people who are willing to pay money.
hid-planet people arent doing mx-3's, or i havent found any yet. so basically if you have done this recently, it should be pretty easy to repeat it?
will pay money for supplies, labor, everything?
lemme know
cheers
hey man. i personally have zero interest in making another set of projectors due to the time and effort needed to create them. real sorry about that man, but there's a couple other options maybe you could look at on the 1st page of this thread.
PATDIESEL wrote:I'll make you a set if you want- 1400 for the pair and you supply a set of good condition OEM lamps for me to work from. Will come with a wiring harness and relays, pretty much completed, but you'll need to wire it into the stock switch.
Jteezy wrote:please tell me you guys are kidding me that you guys want 1000 bucks for headlights?! I did my retrofit and my buddies. Lets price this out

e55 projectors-150 bucks
e46 shrouds-100 bucks
xenondepot wiring harness-50 bucks
clear gts lenses-40 bucks

with labor and everything i would say 500-800 bucks is reasonable price for a complete retrofit considering varibles (projectors, shrouds, etc) not including ballast or bulbs, which you can find for pretty cheap anyways.
keep in mind Jteezy's 'estimate' left out some pretty huge factors, like the ability to have highbeams, cost of bulbs, materials, ballasts, and ignitors. so, you could contact these guys and see what they say. never met him in person before, but pat (PATDIESEL) is a good reasonable guy with a really good long standing rep on here, so he'd be my first choice. no offense to Jteezy, just don't know him.
kevin (aka The Oven)
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yup <puffs out chest> Thanks for the vote of confidence Oven.
I can make them and have all the molds and stuff to recreate mine, but don't have the time to actually make another set right now anyway. It has taken me over a month just to make a hatch cover for Tunes. And I've been bust'n a-- b/c he is such a nice guy...

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”