wandering if the way i want my exhaust is legal

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
delpy32

wandering if the way i want my exhaust is legal

Post by delpy32 »

i want to change my exhaust... i have a custom ixhaust now but i want to change it... i just watched some rally car racing today and i saw that htey have their pipe come out behind the door but in front of the tire...i was wandering if this was legal or if the cops really dont pay attention to that...
i know you can do that on truck i didnt know if it made a difference on cars or not... if the cops really dont pay attention to that then i dont care...its not gonna be really loud or anything...just something different...
thanks
-Ryan
1992 mx-3, white, 1.6 sohc, 5 speed, custom: intake, interior and exhaust
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

I know when I lived in Bradford PA that it is legal as long as it exits out the side and not under it. Like your are asking, just make sure its as far back as you can.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
justin22_22

Post by justin22_22 »

could be legal in one spot and not the other. More of a local question, DMV or insp station
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Trust me he is only 45 minutes south of bradford.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
delpy32

Post by delpy32 »

i called my exhaust guy and he said that its legal...he said the cops dont like it ans may pull me over for it thinking its not legal but he said just to print off the law and keep it in your car just as a backup...hehe
does anyone on here have it coming out the side like i want...like to see some pics and a couple different styles to see what i like...
thanks
1992 mx-3, white, 1.6 sohc, 5 speed, custom: intake, interior and exhaust
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

my buddy had that on his 77 cutlass ... it looked great untull the tip fell off and he ran it over. no problems from the law in NY
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

it's legal as long as you a) have some kind of muffler on the car and b) you have some kind of tip on the car thats it.

i have a friend thats running straight cherry bomb style headers on this 82 yj it loud but it's legal and the tip dumps out right in front of the door not even near the rear of the door.
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”