too many k's?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
slimsmedley

too many k's?

Post by slimsmedley »

I am thinking about investing in a turbo kit for my 2.5 v6 de. The engine has just passed 100,000km's. Is this too many to consider the modification? i have never had any kind of engine problem. did a "quick" search, but couldn't find any similar posts...
1994 Eunos 30x Sports
blaze red, Jap KL-DE 2.5 V6 conversion, KL28 ecu, Auto to Manual gearbox conversion, lightened flywheel, Top Gun leads, aftermarket radiator, Elf engine oil and filters, 2 1/4" cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with carbon fibre/stainless steel muffler and 4" tip, Pioneer sound system, 17" SSW rims, 101.3 wheel k/watts @ 6500rpm
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

It's always a good idea to do a rebuild if you are going to go turbo; however, I think your engine could probably handle it. I would be more worried about fuel delivery and tuning. How much boost are you wanting to run? I think 10psi would be a good final target once everything is tuned really well. Anything more than that and you are pushing the envelope. You could probably run 15psi on a really good tune; but, then you lose your safety cushion and it probably won't last.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
slimsmedley

Post by slimsmedley »

i was thinking about running 8-10psi, from what everyone else has reported going above that you need to be real careful
1994 Eunos 30x Sports
blaze red, Jap KL-DE 2.5 V6 conversion, KL28 ecu, Auto to Manual gearbox conversion, lightened flywheel, Top Gun leads, aftermarket radiator, Elf engine oil and filters, 2 1/4" cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with carbon fibre/stainless steel muffler and 4" tip, Pioneer sound system, 17" SSW rims, 101.3 wheel k/watts @ 6500rpm
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Ya, you would need a nearly perfect tune and it would still be risky going to 15psi on a high-mileage engine. 8-10psi is a good goal. Of course, it will still need to be tuned well. Get a good stand-alone EMS.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
zCat

Post by zCat »

Do a compression/vaccuum check. If both are good, then make sure you start using a very high quality oil when you turbocharge and you should be fine. If your compression is low, boost will kill the motor, regardless of the tune. So make sure you do that first.

Return to “Forced Induction”