rim size advice

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
yence

rim size advice

Post by yence »

This year I'm planning to go to some trackdays @ the Nurnburgring and Circuit Zandvoort.
Now I'm looking for lightweight rims (ROTA, Arospeed, 5zigen etc.) with performance tires, the 18's I have now are way to heavy and didn't do the handling any good.

So 18's are too heavy. I've read on the forum here 15" would make the car fastest, but I asume this is most suited for dragracing, the size of the tirewall would make the car roll more, right? So those wouldn't be suited for circuit driving (correct me if I'm wrong).

My question is, 17x7 or 16x7? 17" (even the leightweight) are pretty heavy again, 16" would have a bit larger tirewall, costs are about the same for both. I've been thinking of this for months now and looking on the internet for info, but I can't figure it out...
What do you guys think is best for trackdays?
1995 noble green MX-3 RS (sold)
1994 clear white MX-3 GS (r.i.p.)
1987 white RX-7 FC
1993 mighty grey MX-3 GS
Phobea

Post by Phobea »

I'll buy your 18s if you sell them! :) I've always wanted to do the Nurburgring, awesome circuit.

I would say 16s for a good balance of speed and handling (and retaining looks!), but I've only ever driven on 15s and 16s so I couldn't really say for sure.
yence

Post by yence »

For the right price, they're going out the door! ;)
Looks aren't that important in this case, either size would be a step back when it comes to looks, but I'm looking for good handling mostly and a little performance.
So far I have adjustable suspension and adjustable front strutbar. SRD front controlarm bushings, rear strutbar and mazdaspeed strut mounts are on their way. I'm also looking for V6 crossmembers.

If I'd choose 16", it would be hyperblack Rota slipstreams. 17": Inovit Aros Gunmetal/polish lip.
1987 white RX-7 FC
1993 mighty grey MX-3 GS
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I've been thinking about it myself and I think your best combination of performance/handling and everyday durability is going to be with a 16" rim. You can get ultralightweight 16 in rims and tires will generally be more available at a lower cost. Remember, the lower profile a tire you go with, the more weight you'll generally have as they have to put more stuff in there to make the tire maintain its shape. It doesn't hurt to have some sidewall so that it can flex over bumps and potholes. This will save your suspension from undue strain over time.
Cody
Phobea

Post by Phobea »

Yence what are your current rims called? I've never seen them around before, absolutely in love with them.

If you're happy to compromise on the looks maybe you could keep the 18s for daily driving and switch to the 16s when you race?
yence

Post by yence »

Thx for the input so far!
@Phobea: My current rims are Bellini Bella's.
It's a bit too expensive to have 2 sets of rims + tires. The set of Rota's would be another 1192,20 euro's, the Inovit's 1262,20 euro. I've already spend 1450 on this set :oops:
I would like to sell these at a good price, so I have some money left for other upgrades.
1987 white RX-7 FC
1993 mighty grey MX-3 GS
Phobea

Post by Phobea »

How much do they weigh? They look a lot like the Kei Force 10s which at 17x7 are only 9lbs and the 18s are the same price you paid for the Bellas roughly.

I'm thinking the Kei Force 10s 17x7s would be my perfect balance of looks, weight and performance. I've found them for £600 with tires, too!

http://www.evolutionr.co.uk/index.php?p ... rod_detail

I think you can upgrade to Toyo Proxes for an extra £100 or so.

I've just checked my current wheel size and they're actually 17s, they're very heavy cheap ones but I don't notice all that much difference from the 15s I had before.
yence

Post by yence »

I asume you mean they are 19 lbs.? That still is very light for a 17". I think the 18" Bellini's are somewhere around 27 lbs.

I had 17"ATS DTM rims before, not the lightest ones, but not too heavy either. It's a huge difference with the ones I have now. My first rims where original 15" mazda mx5 rims, changing to the ATS ones was very noticable as well.
1987 white RX-7 FC
1993 mighty grey MX-3 GS
Phobea

Post by Phobea »

I haven't driven the 17s hard enough yet to notice the difference really I guess. Ever since my crash I've been taking it real easy.

And yes 19lbs sorry, typo. Imagine 9lbs! That would be heaven.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”