klze ticking.. LOOSE TIMING BELT!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Hayata

klze ticking.. LOOSE TIMING BELT!!!

Post by Hayata »

just wanted to know if ur timing belt is loose like u can EASILY push the timing belt down with ur fingers... that means my timing belt tensioner is screwed right??? that would cause my cam pulleys to skip couple toothes on the timing belt making my engine tick like madd?

please reply guys the noises are haunting me lol

thanks alot! ^_^

gil[/img]
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Yes. U need a new timimg belt, or tighten ur tensonier
valves mite be tappin the top of the pistions
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Non interlace engine... valves dont touch the piston.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

How do you tighten the tensioner? There's a hydraulic tensioner on V6, spring on 4-cyl.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
Hayata

Post by Hayata »

Steve_SK wrote:How do you tighten the tensioner? There's a hydraulic tensioner on V6, spring on 4-cyl.
YEA i already know that the tensioner is F'd up just wondering if thats the cause of my engine ticking right bank of the v6 motor is off timing
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Hayata wrote:
Steve_SK wrote:How do you tighten the tensioner? There's a hydraulic tensioner on V6, spring on 4-cyl.
YEA i already know that the tensioner is F'd up just wondering if thats the cause of my engine ticking right bank of the v6 motor is off timing
Might be.. it can also be caused by friction spring, if it is coming from the right head (back) of the engine, exhaust camshaft.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

Hayata, I had to change timing (30º over in cranckshaft) yesterday and that is easy, remove the hydraulic tensiones (two bolts), remove the right hand tensioner (one bolt), put the timing belt aligned, relocate again the right tensioner, use something to compress the hydraulic tensioner and clamp it with anything in the hole (I use the car to compress it, put the tensiones under the car and down with the elevator), asembly the compressed hydraulic tensioner and get it free.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I had this same problem about a week ago. My car was making a horrible tapping sound... I thought I was about to blow my engine but after further isolation of the sound it was coming from my timing cover. On monday I was going about 110 and the car went dead and I thought I had blown my motor but I popped off a few screws from the cover and lo and behold the timing belt snapped. After I got it to my buddies garage, I replaced the water pump, timing belt, tensioner pulley and the other 2 idler pulleys. It's running much better now! :D

I guess it was about time too... about 100k on the klze...
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Hayata. You probably need a new hydraulic tensioner arm. This is the part that applies the constant force to the tensioner pulley. These two parts are behind the left timing cover. I would guess the tapping your hearing is the tensioner pulley assembly itself rocking around because it has nothing pushing it against the belt, thus your loose belt as well. If you've got a lot of ticking but it's not coming from here, describe where you hear it from so somebody more knowledgeable can comment. Valve cover ticking suggests low oil.

At any rate, look into the tensioner arm. Your timing belt being loose will pose a problem. I priced the tensioner arm at a few places. Lordco (currently only in BC and Alberta) suggested a list price of over 900 dollars, which was outrageous. Jobber cost from them turned out to be 125 bucks, but I didn't end up needing it anyway. I called the Ford dealership and they suggested a price of around 300 dollars. If you have relations in the automotive parts business, I suggest you talk to them to get the best pricing.

Can anybody confirm for Hayata that the tensioner arm on the K8 is the same used on the other KL series engines? I've merely assuming thus far. If so, it might be easier to look up as a 93 Probe GT 2.5L

This is also a good time to change your water pump.
Cody
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

yes the timing parts from all the K series will swap
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Hayata

Post by Hayata »

i finally got my timing belt parts and everything had to do with the timing stuff.. to my suprise the tensioner arm was soo damn loose.. i took everything out and yeah the arm was covered with dioty oil which used to be in the arm.. i didnt finish the job though i started around 5pm today everything went smooth till i got to the crank pulley bolt and my god was that bolt on there lol.. i used a torch to loosen it then attacked it with my air gun.. by then it was 10:30pm i think so i probably finish tomorrow.. i let u guys know what happens when i finish the job..

other than that thanks alot for all the help and info guys ^_^
gil
Hayata

Post by Hayata »

GOOD NEWS MY FRIENDS!!! i installed the timing belt tensioner arm tensioner pulley 2 idle pulleys waterpump. my prayers have been answered lol the TICKING is gone ^_^ thanks to this site and all the peoples~! my klze is purring again :)

if anyone needs help on the same problems i been having i'll be gladly to help ya personally (if u live in or around the toronto area.. haha)
jackkorno

KLZE timming Belt

Post by jackkorno »

Just wanted to know since I am new to all this. I just got a MX-3 with a KLZE in it.

What timming belt do I by for it, from what car and were do I get it. ?

jkorno@hotmail.com
Got 2 B a KLZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”