Exhaust

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ProtegeSTS

Re: Exhaust

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG>Step 1 Do you have the book in question?<P>Step 2 Yes creating the vacuum does require setting up a series of pulse waves in the exhaust pipe. <P>This type of exhaust tuning is only applicable to a small range of rpm. For example if you tune the exhaust for 5000 rpm then you have setup the pulses for that exhaust flow. However this is counter productive if you do not run constantly at this rpm.<P>Also note that anytime your exhaust opening (pipe diameter, cat throat,etc.) is larger than your exhaust valve diameter you will not have a backpressur problem.<P>This the the case with any aftermarket cat or, muffler. Also having 4" pipes on almost any engine but a diesl is crazy. Enough Said. <P>Incidently I have taken that class, been there-done that.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Fine Barry...your intellect amazes us all. You win.... :sigh:<p>[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: ProtegeSTS ]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

OK, if y'all are done comparing the size of your,... knowledge base, I have an update if anyone cares about an alternative to the resonator by using a glass pack.<P>Just had a 2" x 24" Cherry Bomb welded in and it sounds great! No more of that buzz-bomb sound at around 5K RPM when accelerating, and is no longer like riding in a Cesna at higher speeds. It's MUCH quieter, but still has a deep mellow tone that you can feel. And best of all, it's wide open, 2" all the way thru.<BR>With this upgrade & the replacement of my downpipe I've got 2" system all the way from the collector to the tips. It still screams on the highway & gets better mileage than stock. I'm happy.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

so.........<BR>for a NA or non-turbo, non nitrous....<BR>would 2 inch be the best for mid range increase in power......<BR>oh mufflers i dont now what sounds the best......i dont like large tips...i like dual makes it look stock.....<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Seems that most folks like 2" as being not too big to keep the gas velocities up. The folks that put my system up reccomended not going over 2" for a smaller 4-cyl. They do it for a living, so I'll go w. that. :D<P>The muffler I have on mine is a Magnaflow mirror finish with twin oval tips. Looks alot like the stock muff, just better. Plus it doesn't sound like the typical low cost open baffle fart cans, even before I put in the Cherry Bomb. <A HREF="http://www.magnaflow.com/03mirrorstreet.htm" TARGET=_blank>Part number 14833</A>
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
Technostiva

Post by Technostiva »

Hi, Guys I'm new to this board, But I come bearing a gift of info.. I just found a header for the sohc 1.6...that's right. a header. <A HREF="http://www.festivamotorsport.com/perfor ... header.JPG" TARGET=_blank>Festiva Motorsport</A>.. anyways.. I'm still looking fro that low mileage Mx-3 engine.
Technostiva<BR>91 Festiva L soon to have MX-3 1.6l Engine
ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

will that header fit on the MX-3... it won't interfere with motor mounts or the radiator or anything like that?
and konstantine is walking down the stairs...
Technostiva

Post by Technostiva »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Technostiva:<BR><STRONG>Hi, Guys I'm new to this board, But I come bearing a gift of info.. I just found a header for the sohc 1.6...that's right. a header. <A HREF="http://www.festivamotorsport.com/perfor ... header.JPG" TARGET=_blank>Festiva Motorsport</A>.. anyways.. I'm still looking fro that low mileage Mx-3 engine.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I apologise for this post as the Header I found is not for the B6e as it has round ports, not oval ports.. sorry to get anyones hopes up..
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

hold on wont it fit the sohc b6e & not the dohc b6e <BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Technostiva

Post by Technostiva »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monty73741:<BR><STRONG>hold on wont it fit the sohc b6e & not the dohc b6e <BR>jason</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You guys would know better than me.. I don't have the B6e yet. Does it have oval or round exhaust ports? This header has round ports.

Post by Guest »

Can someone tell me the size of the stock piping? I'm getting a 2" straight threw muffler and wanna know if its gonna fit.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Goin UP!
Seanthepizzadude65065

Post by Seanthepizzadude65065 »

I know this topic is old, but on mine i have a straght pipe leading into a glasspack, and it sounds very good too, I had a kid ask me if i had a V8 under the hood, i laughed my butt off too considering i have the SOHC 4 cyl. But it adds power too, its a little loud over 3000-4000 RPM level but i just turn up the radio :D
14" 5 spoke PRIME rims, GS spoiler,180 Watt Sony Head unit with a 4 Polk Audio EX series speakers, Kicker Solo Baric 8" sub, StrandTec custom Air system, Blue under dash neon tube, Blue windsheld wipernozzle LEDS,straght-through dual tip exhaust, Belive it or not but, I did a 0-60 in 7.23 seconds!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/seanthemx3er
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Movin this up again. We seem to get alot of the same questions that are covered in this string. If ya take out the assinine agument of back pressure vs. no back pressure, there's alot of good stuff.
C-ya!
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

So, I read this thread, thought it could be revived. I also have a question... do exhaust pieces need to be welded? In the past, I replaced a muffler by widening/flaring an end (down current) and then hacking a line into the exhaust, spreading a goop on the connection (probably just clay mud), and then clamping it. Is there something wrong with this method, or is there just something better about welding?

Also, a question about pipe diameters. I see a lot of people recommend a 2.0" exhaust, but I know 2.25" exhaust is also popular with sport compacts. I'm hoping that someone has experience with both diameters and can give some insight to their relative comparison. It seems the 2.25" pipe has an opening (cross sectional surface area) of 3.98 sq in and the 2.0" pipe has an opening of 3.14 sq in. [I am assuming that the 2.25" and the 2.0" measurements are intermal diameters, not internel.] This means that the 2.25" is 26% more open than the 2.0" pipe. However, the 2.25" pipe should be 12.5% heavier than the 2.0". Does anyone know if the 26% greater opening is worth the 12.5% greater weight?
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
lv2xlr8

Post by lv2xlr8 »

why try to use a header for a festiva? corksport has headers MADE for mx-3s. they have them available for the sohc and dohc.
94 MX-3 1.6L DOHC 5sp, corksport shifter, crappy intake and muffler
01 SS Camaro, full flowmaster exhaust and hurst shifter

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”