Dumbest ticket ever.

Off-Topic Discussions
nightfire

Dumbest ticket ever.

Post by nightfire »

So I just got my first ticket in the new ride. Took me 2 days.

I junked my old car, and the first thing I did when I got home was bolt the plate onto the mx3. I still had the transit sticker on the back, because I hadn't been to the SAAQ to transfer the ownership over and all the other crap (as it was the weekend). I figured if a cop stopped me, I'd just politely explain that I just bought it, and had a valid transit (which I did).

Wrong. :twisted:

That would be too logical.

Apparently I was "misrepresenting a vehicle" or some s---, and it got me a $270 ticket. He took my plate, so presumably I have to pay for another one. Then he let me go, as the car was mine, was licensed (with the transit) and I was insured. If I had waited 1 more day to put the plate on, all would have been fine.

He was the nicest cop I've ever met, other than that. Still frustrating though.

Should I contest it?
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I'm a bit confused, as an american all these words are french to me, but if you have the time and it's free to contest you might as well. That's a lot of money.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Dunno if it's worth fighting the ticket or not. Here in Maryland that scenario would be a ticket + losing the car, not just the plate. Cop would have it towed from the spot where he pulled you over. Then having to pay both the ticket and an impound fee to get the car outta the impound lot. The impound fee starts to get daily storage charges added after 24 hrs. so while the ticket in MD would probably be lower than $270, overall costs would probably be similar so wouldn't be worth fighting it in my area. Maybe if you get the registration/tags straightened out before appearing to fight the ticket, bring that completed paperwork to court, the judge would reduce the fine?
Image -Jim
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

neutral wrote:Dunno if it's worth fighting the ticket or not. Here in Maryland that scenario would be a ticket + losing the car, not just the plate. Cop would have it towed from the spot where he pulled you over. Then having to pay both the ticket and an impound fee to get the car outta the impound lot. The impound fee starts to get daily storage charges added after 24 hrs. so while the ticket in MD would probably be lower than $270, overall costs would probably be similar so wouldn't be worth fighting it in my area. Maybe if you get the registration/tags straightened out before appearing to fight the ticket, bring that completed paperwork to court, the judge would reduce the fine?
Well the thing is everything was in order; my only mistake was putting the plate on too early. The car was licensed to be on the road.. I wasn't driving it illegally.

I think I'm gonna fight it. What the hell.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Sheez, that sucks then. Yah, since the papers were all correctly processed and your only issue was having the tag on the car one day early, probably could get that fine knocked down or eliminated if you argue your case. g/l
Image -Jim
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you took plate off of your other car and put it on this one?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
bubsy83

Dumb ticket

Post by bubsy83 »

I almost did that very same thing when I bought mine last fall but decided not to as a 10 Day permit is like $15 and called my insurance company and let them know what I was up to and they said no problem just take the proof of insurance from my Monte for a policy number just in case and I was good to go. It would have been nice if you didn't get stopped by the police because IMO no harm no foul, but sometimes stepping outside the law isn't always worth it. It sucks to have to pay that fine. The only way out of it is check the spelling of your name and stuff on the ticket...if there is a spelling error the ticket can be thrown out in court. Good Luck!!
nightfire

Re: Dumb ticket

Post by nightfire »

bubsy83 wrote:I almost did that very same thing when I bought mine last fall but decided not to as a 10 Day permit is like $15 and called my insurance company and let them know what I was up to and they said no problem just take the proof of insurance from my Monte for a policy number just in case and I was good to go. It would have been nice if you didn't get stopped by the police because IMO no harm no foul, but sometimes stepping outside the law isn't always worth it. It sucks to have to pay that fine. The only way out of it is check the spelling of your name and stuff on the ticket...if there is a spelling error the ticket can be thrown out in court. Good Luck!!
Yeah, but the thing is I did have a 10-day permit (the transit) and it was on the windshield. I didn't realize I was outside the law...

The problem wasn't that I wasn't allowed to drive the car; I just shouldn't have put the plate on in addition to the transit. Shoulda just thrown it in my trunk.

Oh well. Maybe I'll get a nice judge. ;)
- Gord
bubsy83

dumb ticket

Post by bubsy83 »

Okay I get ya there..that doesn't even seem outside the law really and if the cop was truly nice they could have just suggested you take your plate off until it is transferred with the Ministry. They have the privilege of being half decent human beings and educate small infractions that might not seem like a big deal. The fine you got is uncalled for IMO..heck that ain't even a slap on the wrist. Maybe it was just a bad day for both of ya!

I would explain your side to the judge and see 'cause I am sure that even the judge would find this kind of ticket a waste of time and not worth pursuing payment, but yeah, it'll hwlp if the judge is in a generous mood. Good Luck!!!
mitmaks

Re: Dumb ticket

Post by mitmaks »

nightfire wrote:
bubsy83 wrote:I almost did that very same thing when I bought mine last fall but decided not to as a 10 Day permit is like $15 and called my insurance company and let them know what I was up to and they said no problem just take the proof of insurance from my Monte for a policy number just in case and I was good to go. It would have been nice if you didn't get stopped by the police because IMO no harm no foul, but sometimes stepping outside the law isn't always worth it. It sucks to have to pay that fine. The only way out of it is check the spelling of your name and stuff on the ticket...if there is a spelling error the ticket can be thrown out in court. Good Luck!!
Yeah, but the thing is I did have a 10-day permit (the transit) and it was on the windshield. I didn't realize I was outside the law...

The problem wasn't that I wasn't allowed to drive the car; I just shouldn't have put the plate on in addition to the transit. Shoulda just thrown it in my trunk.

Oh well. Maybe I'll get a nice judge. ;)
I dont see why you got a ticket then, you're covered both ways, got plate and temporary plate. I dont see why you got a ticket then
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
mitmaks

Re: dumb ticket

Post by mitmaks »

bubsy83 wrote:Okay I get ya there..that doesn't even seem outside the law really and if the cop was truly nice they could have just suggested you take your plate off until it is transferred with the Ministry. They have the privilege of being half decent human beings and educate small infractions that might not seem like a big deal. The fine you got is uncalled for IMO..heck that ain't even a slap on the wrist. Maybe it was just a bad day for both of ya!

I would explain your side to the judge and see 'cause I am sure that even the judge would find this kind of ticket a waste of time and not worth pursuing payment, but yeah, it'll hwlp if the judge is in a generous mood. Good Luck!!!
you better check with the judge, sounds like cop just came out of academy and ate too much donuts, doesnt know what the @#)U*# he's doing.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Yeah well, here's hoping. He was very polite, but he seemed pretty young (maybe 22-23). So yeah, probably just a little overzealous. I never offered to remove the plate (I didn't realize what the problem was until he started writing a ticket), so maybe that pissed him off.

Ah well.
- Gord

Return to “Off-Topic”