Engine problem

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Moe_maX

Engine problem

Post by Moe_maX »

When i start my car a THICK cloud of white smoke exits through the tail pipe. I'm talking quite a lot, enough to cover my street. but as soon as the car warms up it runs normal. There is no power loss once started, no increase in temperature the car appears to be running normal. I've had a few different responces to the issue so far, one of them being that this is normal under really cold conditions and another that the car needs a head gasket replacement.

Any thoughts on the issue will be greatly appreciated...
Thanks
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

sounds like your burning coolant. You say it only does it when you start it perhapes you have a small leak in the system and this is the warning sign, or it's just the cold weather. Either way keep your eye on your temps n check your fluid levels regularly. If you strat to see it more and more then perhaps you may need head gaskets or worse an engine rebuild.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

I just wanted to make sure the cloud is white and not light blue. If it is light blue, I'd suggest it may be a leaky valve guide.

Is your coolant and oil the right colors?
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Pull each spark plug one at a time and check for the color of the plug tip. Also look for any fluids on the plug (should be dry). Only pull one at a time and replace it after you have recorded it color and if any fluid, then replace it and move to the next one. This will keep you from messing up the plug wire order.
It sounds like you have some oil getting into the cylinder. Normal for an older MX-3. The oil could be coming from a bad valve guide or poor piston ring. It could also be coolant from a cracked head gasket, but that would usually smoke all the time. A valve seal or ring would leak only when sitting for a bit then it would smoke on start up or as soon as you start to move. Does it smoke when you take off from a red light?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Moe_maX

Post by Moe_maX »

Ok, so the cloud is white, not blue and it has a sweet smell to it.
as for smoking when i take of from a red light, i'm not sure it does, i shall double check. As soon as the car is at running temperature though it appears to be running normal.

Thanks all for your input in this situation.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Moe_maX wrote:Ok, so the cloud is white, not blue and it has a sweet smell to it.
That's gotta be coolant, especially from the sweet smell. I though blue smoke would be oil, and white coolant
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”