Turboed Mx3 with FE3N @ the track 10.8 @ 129

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

monty73741 wrote:
NeZmO wrote:lol. There is no replacement for displacement. If you took a ZE with similar modifications and put some forged rods and pistons in it you could get some similar if not better numbers. Just no one has taken the time to do it. People like this guy have the right idea.
http://xtremethings.com/Our_Cars.htm
wow you sound real orginal, if you would have done any research, the bpt & now the Fe3n blows the doors off of any 2.5 liter kl...
So much hostility... Big engines are nice and small engines are nice. The replacement for displacement is a crap load of boost and tuning; however, a big engine with just as much boost/tuning will be more powerful. The only problem is that there are very few people who actually run high boost on big engines. I guess that supras are a good example. 3.0L I6 + High Boost = 1000+rwhp (1500+rwhp in one case). Granted, a lot of the high horsepower supras have terrible turbo lag. From a technical point of view, boost is equivalent to displacement; the more you have of each, the more power you can get.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

^agreed, but its not boost lag its boost threshold.
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

people that say nothing like displacement just piss me off, he not complementing the guy on a total bad a-- & custom mx-3.(sorry barry)

If i wanted 1000 Hp i would just go with an rotary..yeah i kow they are not a direct bolt in neither was the Fe3n......
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

monty73741 wrote:
NeZmO wrote:lol. There is no replacement for displacement. If you took a ZE with similar modifications and put some forged rods and pistons in it you could get some similar if not better numbers. Just no one has taken the time to do it. People like this guy have the right idea.
http://xtremethings.com/Our_Cars.htm
wow you sound real orginal, if you would have done any research, the bpt & now the Fe3n blows the doors off of any 2.5 liter kl...
exactly, and dont forget that the 2.5KL is heavier than the BP, as well as it doesent rap out as fast a a I4 either. so one over the other BP or FE3 all the way. only real cool thing about the KL is the sound
NeZmO

Post by NeZmO »

Okay, where in my comment do you see me bashing on his car? And yes it IS a wicked machine. The only thing I was responding to is the same thing that comes up in any car forum. Like the guy that added to mine "the more boost and displacement you have... the more power" Now rotary's are a completely different subject but I wouldn't have one considering your apex seals don't last long. You guys can argue all you want.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I believe it is you that lacks a little knowledge about rotaries....The only time apex seals go are if you detinate. If you upgrade to 3mm apex seals then it is like a piston engine and you'll have enough time to back off before it is to late. I've seen stock 13B's put down 700+HP on the stock 2mm apex seals. I also own a NA 2nd gen RX-7 that walks 5.0's & Z28's and I've ran the piss out of it from about 120,000 miles when I bought it till over 150,000. It keeps breaking trannies (syncros go out due to the NA's having a week case, the Turbo II's have a trans that will hold 600+HP stock). Rotary engines are the best turbo engines out their....provided you don't detinate it on 2mm apex seals. The stock 13B only dispalces a mere 1.3L and with periperal port housings, tuning, exhaust, clutch, driveline it can put down 350HP NA. Turbo charged it can put down 1000+ HP EASY and reliably. The only reason the Supras are ruling the tracks is the same reason that the 787B Mazda race car no longer rules the tracks...they ruled them out because they were untouchable...even with a HUGE displacement disadvantage. The Supras are displacing 3.5+L and the 20B at 1.95L was banned from the drag strips because nobody could touch them! The rotaries are also EXTREMELY reliable engines...thats also why they were used in many aircraft. A NA 26B like the one used in the 787B race car puts down around 700+HP and will slap 3rd gen RX-7s to sub 10's in the 1/4 mile Naturally Aspirated. The 26B only displaces a mere 2.6L (is really just 2 13B's with a single eccentric shaft).

Rotary engines 101...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20B
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Yoda wrote:
atlantamx3 wrote::shock:

I think that beat Dave Lauzier's record... right?
That does beat his MX-3 but not his current FE3 powered Protege.
If it wasn't for transmission issues and lack of the proper gear ratios for a turboed car he should have been knock on the 9sec door. These days Mazda does make a FWD tranny that can handle the kind of torque his old 585+hp BP and his new near 1000hp FE can put out.
Don't forget too that Eric (DRAG323) who bought Dave's shell made pretty decent numbers (somewhere near 10.6) with his car (FE3).
It was funny though watching Eric compete against Dave with his protege. (Dave's old car vs Dave's new car)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

NeZmO wrote:Okay, where in my comment do you see me bashing on his car? And yes it IS a wicked machine. The only thing I was responding to is the same thing that comes up in any car forum. Like the guy that added to mine "the more boost and displacement you have... the more power" Now rotary's are a completely different subject but I wouldn't have one considering your apex seals don't last long. You guys can argue all you want.
wow thisguys knows everything i'm putting a v12 in my mx because there is no replacement for displacement
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Bo0sted_Rafi

Post by Bo0sted_Rafi »

babyblueMX3 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
atlantamx3 wrote::shock:

I think that beat Dave Lauzier's record... right?
That does beat his MX-3 but not his current FE3 powered Protege.
If it wasn't for transmission issues and lack of the proper gear ratios for a turboed car he should have been knock on the 9sec door. These days Mazda does make a FWD tranny that can handle the kind of torque his old 585+hp BP and his new near 1000hp FE can put out.
Don't forget too that Eric (DRAG323) who bought Dave's shell made pretty decent numbers (somewhere near 10.6) with his car (FE3).
It was funny though watching Eric compete against Dave with his protege. (Dave's old car vs Dave's new car)
I hear Eric runs 10.89 in his mx3.

I make some mods in the suspension and i will go to the track soon. Stay tune for the new numbers
NeZmO

Post by NeZmO »

wow thisguys knows everything i'm putting a v12 in my mx because there is no replacement for displacement?

What are you talking about? If you're talking about a ferrari V12 or most exotics the displacement is often small. An F50 engine is only 286ci. That's smaller than a 5.0
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

come on guys this went from a topic about a bad a-- car to which motor is better....who cares. They each have their pro's and con's. At least the guys w/ BPs and FE3s are putting down real numbers and not just probability. As far as I know there are no ZEs in the 10s but it doesn't mean its not possible, it just may take a little more thought and fabrication than a BP or FE3.

Can't we all just get along :)

:2thumbsup: Awesome job Rafi and all others that managed those kind of times, hats off to you! :bowdown:
93 MX3 GS SE KLZE -- RIP May 1, 2011
14.007 @ 98.46 1.991 60ft -- the only time she made it to the 1/4 :(

92 MX3 GS aka Goldmember - I'm trying to keep the legend going and as always credit to Andy for starting the legend ;)
sc61 currently @ 8 psi, wiseco 10:1 pistons, K1 rods, ported ze heads w/ kl31 cams
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Great job Boosted_Rafi, keep us updated on the latest happenings on this car.

It is a fact that the fastest MX3s out there are 4cylinder B6, BP or FE3 turbo powered. This is not to say that the KL V6 based engines dont have the same potential if boosted but I think most of the V6 guys usually are happy with the power of a KLZE swap alone.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Yup one bad a-- car! 4banger or v6...(or v8,v12,i6 i5, i3. or rotary.haha) it does not matter...every motor has the pro and cons.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Bo0sted_Rafi

Post by Bo0sted_Rafi »

thanks to all. I tried to make new numbers but in the burnout, i have a problem with a valve spring retainer and 1 valve drops down. I have good luck and the valve dont broke anything i nside the engine. i gonna change that valve and get to the track again and i wish to run 10.7 or 10.6 and the car has potencial to make it. Then, im gonna sell it. I can sell the setup if anybody want it.
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

mzdamx3rsdohc wrote: and what did you pull the motor of? i havent heard oof a FE3 im looking it up now tho...
Its the motor that was in the mx-6 in europe and japan. It is also used by Kia in the 95-99 sportage, but it is configured for rearwheel drive.

I am rebuilding one to put in my mx6. Though I probably am not aiming for that much power, it will be a huge improvement over the sohc f2t.
Josh wrote:you know you can stroke that motor to a 2.3L with a B2200 crank. very impressive. always wanted to see someone run an FE3.
The MX6 F2t and F2 cranks are interchangable with the FE3 as well, but would require custom rods and pistons or h22(23) rods and pistons. It can be done but does require alot of custom work. There is a guy on the mx6 forums working on a stroker FE3.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...

Return to “Forced Induction”