probe gt

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
lv2xlr8

probe gt

Post by lv2xlr8 »

ok, so i have an oppurtunity to buy a 94 probe gt from a friend of mine.
i know swapping the v6 into the 4cyl mx can be a pain, but if i have a complete donor car to do it with would it be worth it? i can get the car for decently cheap and there is nothing wrong with it. i had thought about just buying and driving it, but i like the look of my mx3 much better.

any opinions or suggestions?
94 MX-3 1.6L DOHC 5sp, corksport shifter, crappy intake and muffler
01 SS Camaro, full flowmaster exhaust and hurst shifter
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

A probe can be a motor donor car, but you still need GS parts.

Axles, pedal assemblys, wiring harness.
mazdachad

Post by mazdachad »

dont need to swap pedal assembly and the wiring harness should work. I swapped my v6 harness for a protege harness and all the connections under the dash matched up fine. Clubprotege has a right up for protege to v6 swap which would help you. Or look at my v6 to bpt swap write up. With a donor car itll be a whole lot easier.
94 green rs
92 black gs project bpt. daily driven bpt in a gs...lovin the boost
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I thought you had an auto. My mistake.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

with a donor car it would be pretty easy id imagine. pull the motor trnny get a gs crossmember, weld up some motor mounts and just do a re and re u have the engine tranny ecu with a welder id imagine no more than a h22 swap or even b16 or b18 in a civic.i drove my mx3 for 3 years b4 i got my probe gt and the k series is a lot peppier and smoother than the b6 dohc. in a mx3 rs the k series would satisfy u not plaese u seeing u have a ss with the ls1 so ur used to top end power. the probes can look really good and nothing looks as good coming up behind u then a probe front end. the probes not much heavier they just need two tone cause of the wrap around glass, i hated the look of mine till the roof and rims were done in gunmetal. but nothing compares to the mx3's 94+ dash.
p.s if u like ur handling in ur mx take the probe on some twisties and open her up it will blow u away compared to the mx3 with how much it sticks.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
mazdachad

Post by mazdachad »

the probe crossmember may work im using a protege one on mine with the bpt. Even the gs crossmember and mounts worked but the engine but sits alot better now with pro lx mounts and sohc protege crossmember. Also you wont need to cut or weld the mounts just swap over the protege brackets and rubber mounts.
http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17680
thats a write up for a klze in a protege so it should help. Going i4 to v6 is going to be more work then to a bp or bpt but if its the engine you want id say go with it since youll be happier in the end.
94 green rs
92 black gs project bpt. daily driven bpt in a gs...lovin the boost

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”