Pioneer Speakers Problem: Cutting out on long trips

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Pioneer Speakers Problem: Cutting out on long trips

Post by Jovian2k »

OK heres a little problem for you audio people to solve...
I am currently running a Pioneer 7500MP headunit (the one with nice screensavers), 4x6.5" Pioneer 3 way speakers, and a Jensen 500w Amplifier powering 2x12" Rockford Fosgate Punch Subs. Everything sounds GREAT I have tweaked the gain and low pass filter on the amp so the subs sound nice and the headunit has always worked well with my four Pioneer Speakers.

Problem is: When I go on long trips (about an hour- hour and 1/2) The speakers randomly cut out- but everything else works fine. The headunit remains unaffected still playing the track with the time tickin' away and the EQ lines moving like the music is playing. The Subs also receive the signal because I hear the bass tones but no hi/mid's at all because my speakers get "cut out". This is temporary and when I turn off my headunit and drive with no music for a while (which sucks btw), I will turn the headunit back on and my speakers will work again for a short while. All signs point to my speakers, but it is ONLY on long trips every day driving it works like a charm... What could be the problem? Might be my speakers overheating or something but what could I do to solve this? If I go buy new speakers, how will I know that this won't happen to those ones too?

I dread long trips bc of this little pain in my tailpipe :cry:
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
chew*

Post by chew* »

the built in amp in your radio is going into protection, most likely from exessive heat.
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Yeah the damn thing (headunit) does get hot, sometimes CD's come out after playing for a while and practically burn my hand :shock: ... sounds like that is the problem.
Any ways to fix this little situation? I will try and pull it out make sure all the wiring and stuff isn't bunched up making it even hotter...
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
chew*

Post by chew* »

Obviously neaten up your wires, and I have seen some people mod fans
(very small ones) into the spare pocket to vent heat from the radio. This was in extreme comp installs though. There are other reasons a deck can heat up though.

1. A bad ground or a bad vehicle ground namely the battery ground.

2. Trying to run speakers off the radio that have high power handling and thus should be wired to an amp.

3. Trying to run speakers off the radio that do not handle the power that the radio outputs which can cause feedback as the voice coils get hot ( this would be like trying to run the factories which likely handle 10 watts each)

4. The most logical and best sounding solution would be to mate an amp to your aftermarket replacement speakers.

I would first make sure there is no obstructions restricting the thick aluminum heatsink from dissipating heat though as that is the built in amplifiers heatsink on your radio. I try to avoid decks with "high power" and rarely if ever use speaker outputs on a headunit as its hard to level match other system components to the headunits speaker outputs.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”