HELP! INTERMITTENT IDLING PROBLEMS

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BOF

HELP! INTERMITTENT IDLING PROBLEMS

Post by BOF »

HI there guys! Forum newbie here, but I know a bit about cars. The car is a 97 MX-3 V6 manual, and the problem is that intermittently it idles roughly, or even stalls, on a closed throttle. It runs perfectly under load at all times, though, i.e. when the throttle isn't closed. It's my wife's car, so I need to fix it to get some peace....

I've only got the Chilton manual, which is not hugely detailed or model-specific. If I had this problem on my own car (SAAB 9000), I would be looking to clean out the idle air control valve by flushing it with carburettor cleaner. Would this be a good start for the MX-3? If not, where should I look first? I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem. Please help - I'm being nagged to death here!

BOF
mab

Post by mab »

start the car get your throttlebody cleaner out and at idel spray around the upper intake manifold listen for any idel changes around where you are spraying. also spray around the backside of your throttle linkage. intake cleaner burns and if you have small vaccum leak thats the way to find out. it sounds like a vaccum leak. 90% of the time thats where you get idel problems on these car. good luck
Nothing like an mx3 project car
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

This is why im single and the R1 is not setup for a passanger....

Umm interesting problem, what rpm is the car idling at? possibly
it is set to low?
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

deffinetly agree with mab, sounds like a vacuumm leak.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
BOF

Post by BOF »

Thank you gentlemen. Just what I hoped for - I knew others would have had the problem. I'll try the carb cleaner spraying route before I get the tools out, though as the fault's intermittent, it may be tricky to find it.

Kiwi, it idles at around 700 rpm when it's OK, which is most of the time. Running the aircon raises the idle to 1000 rpm or so. I understand that two terminals in the diagnostic socket have to be bridged - a paperclip is ideal, I gather - to set the idling speed manually; can you confirm which two?

When it's recently started, and therefore running on rich mixture, the problem does not occur.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

Den
BOF

Post by BOF »

Thank you, gentlemen. It was indeed a vacuum leak - cracking between two ribs of the large rubber induction manifold between the air cleaner and the throttle body. I'm now £60 poorer, but the Dragon is happy......

Thank you again.

BOF
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

yeah ...watch out for those hoses....they tend to for the wierdest reasons just totally unplug them selfs....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Cracking in that ribbed intake pipe (between MAF and throttlebody) can cause all sorts of weird problems depending on where the crack is.

Because that part flexes as the motor twists slightly in its mounts, the flexing can have the effect of opening and closing the leaks.. When the crack opens and air flows in (bypassing the airflow sensor) the MAF reports less airflow to the engine so the computer gives it less fuel, the mix goes lean, power drops.

but WHEN the crack(s) open or close can depend on where the crack is located, top, bottom, side, etc. for some folks the leak closes when the engine is unloaded and at idle, so it's fine at idle but stalls when they try to accelerate. For other folks it's the reverse, it's fine when there is load that torques the engine slightly in it's mounts (like going down the road, fighting wind resistance or accelerating) but opens up at idle speeds causing the car to stall unless you keep your foot on the gas..

Same root cause, very different symptoms
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”