Engine Oil

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Steve_SK

Engine Oil

Post by Steve_SK »

Hello MX3 brothers,

I have question about engine oil. I am going to replace it very soon and since I cannot find Petro-Canada 5W-40 Europe Synth here anymore, I was browsing this forum and decided to use Valvoline engine oil. My question is - do you have positive experiences with using this oil? According to local Valvoline web page, the best oil for my MX3 V6 is SynPower 5W-30, which I also wanted to use in case of PetroCanada, they only had 5W40.

But what 'impressed' me was info about exchange interval - 10 000 km instead of 15 000 km, but that's ok. Valvoline has even better specification - SM and would like to know your opinions. I can get this oil very easily here. Thank you all for posts.

S.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

hey man,

personally depending on your temperature, i would use a 10w30 synthetic. Its more of an all season oil. A 5w30 is more for colder climates. Also if your engine condition is getting poor you might experience burning oil, since its thinner. As for oil change intervals, i was always sketchy on changing it at like 10000km or even 25000km like royal purple oil says. Your oil is still getting acid build ups and dirt wether its a syn or base oil stock at 5000km (3000 miles).

-hope that helps,Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Ryan, thank you for the reply, temperature here is quite low in winter, -20 to -30 usually, so I'd like to use 5w30. My engine loses oil, but doesn't burn it, just leaks from everywhere. :) In our Mazda6 the interval is 20000 km for oil exchange, in manuals for MX it is written 15000 km but would like to exchange after 10000 km. When I check oil after 5000 km, it is still quite clear, not black. Even now after 8000 km it has just small mark of being black, more brown. Maybe there's a difference in US and EU spec. oils. :) And I'd like to save the environment, so I choose a compromise - 10000 km.

I am interested in opinions on this engine oil, if it is better than Castrol or Shell or BP etc. Thank you.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

ROYAL PURPLE IS THE BEST WAY TO GO
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:hey man,

personally depending on your temperature, i would use a 10w30 synthetic. Its more of an all season oil. A 5w30 is more for colder climates. Also if your engine condition is getting poor you might experience burning oil, since its thinner. As for oil change intervals, i was always sketchy on changing it at like 10000km or even 25000km like royal purple oil says. Your oil is still getting acid build ups and dirt wether its a syn or base oil stock at 5000km (3000 miles).

-hope that helps,Ryan
Like Ryan, i dump my oil every 5000km as its done its dash by then
i can atest to this working as my road car ive owned since 45,000km
is now sitting over 250,000 and still going strong! and that's a 4banger!
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Change your oil every 3k miles or 3 months
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

yah no matter what kind of oil you buy, your basically paying for the name and advertising, All the oils are going to do the same thing--->Lubricate. They just use diffrent additive packages. The best thing to do is just look in the owners manual and run the oil that meets the chart, so you saying is -20c you would use 5w30 synthetic.

To answer your main question before it got twisted into oil change intervals, Yes valvoline is a good oil as well as quaker state and castrol. But even though its synthetic you still want to follow a 5000km oil change interval.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:ROYAL PURPLE IS THE BEST WAY TO GO
why do you say that?
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Maybe he's on commission :p
Cody
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

your oil change habbits also need to go with your diring, i drive hard and change the cars at 3000 on the dot, the truck i do ever 5000 and i use mobil 1 in both, 5w-30 all year in the truck like it calls for and 10w-30 summer and 5w-30 winter in the car
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Amsoil 5w40 FTW. Best oil I have used. :)
neumann

Post by neumann »

Steve

If your engine is leaking oil, you are probably adding enough replacement oil within the change interval to keep the TBN up and avoid depleting the additives that neutralize the nasty acids.

While I use synthetic oil in my Porsche, on a car that leaks oil you might actually leak less using conventional oil, or maybe one of the high mileage oils, which are usually blends of maybe 25% synth and 75% dino. If you go with a conventional oil I would back off the OCI to maybe 7500 km.

If you do stick with a synth you might want to try a 0w30 for the cold Bratislava winters. You might notice a difference in cold cranking at -20. In Dino oils any modern 5w30 should be good. Current API SM formulations are all very good and generally the European specs are better.

And most of all, go have a look at:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”