94 1.8 Camshaft position sensor...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ExperimentX

94 1.8 Camshaft position sensor...

Post by ExperimentX »

Could someone just clarify to me please where this sensor is located? Is it inside the distributor or somewhere on the outside? My car has started running all snafu and the code I got from the obd 1 is code 03 which is the camshaft position sensor... thanks guys!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Does your car start at all? There are really 2 sensors for that, but one is the crank sensor by the crank pulley on the bottom passenger of the motor. The other is located in the distributor and that would throw the number 3 code as you are getting. However, if that is the code your getting then your car must be running really bad. Is that true? If not try resetting your ECU to see if that helps. If you car is running ghetto, I suggest getting a new Disty.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Not so fast. Actually the ECU calls both of those sensors a cam position sensor and they are both code #3. So what you should do is bring the car to a mechanic and have them test both sensors and tell you which is the bad one. The "cam position sensor" that is really the crank positon sensor is not expensive, the one in hte disty is going to be expensive since you need a new disty if it is the bad one. So that for the 3-400 cost of the disty I'd have someone check and tell me which is wrong b/c the one on the crank is only about 30 bucks if I remember corretly.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

Yah, the car is running like total s---, plus it keeps setting off the check-engine light, although it only does so intermittently.
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

Oh, and I replaced the distributor last summer, (June-July), and the one I have right now is still under warranty.
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

ExperimentX wrote:Oh, and I replaced the distributor last summer, (June-July), and the one I have right now is still under warranty.
So I could realistically just pull out the current disty, take it back to the place I got it from and get another one... wonder if thats really the simplest solution.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Thanks for the info Pat, that does make sense.

Yes, you could take the disty back because even if it was new, they have a tendency to go. That could the first palce to start. If it is the crank angle, that is a easy exhchange that you can get from any wreckers.
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

solo_ryder wrote:Thanks for the info Pat, that does make sense.

Yes, you could take the disty back because even if it was new, they have a tendency to go. That could the first palce to start. If it is the crank angle, that is a easy exhchange that you can get from any wreckers.
So is the actual camshaft sensor located internally in the disty or is it that little knob that sticks out on a wire?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

That is what you will have to determine, the camshaft sensor is in the disty, so it is either that or the crank shaft sensor by where the dipstick goes into the oilpan.
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

I think a "LOL" is in order, I took a chance and got my shop to install a brand new Crank sensor... well, the problem didn't go away, so now I'm just waiting for the store I got the distributor from to get me a new one.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”