Need everyones opinion

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ProjectMx-3

Need everyones opinion

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

Ok I got a 93 mx-3 1.6L SOHC. It's got 167,000 miles on it and runs very very poor. Tomorrow is my last day working @ welding service co. due to im moving. As of now only got like $300 in my pocket. Ok it's been overheating for a while but now there is more serious problems from it just sitting in the driveway. I went to start it and you gotta pump the gas to start it, once it's started you gotta hold down the gas or else it will die, but as soon as you put it into gear it dies anyway, so obviously it needs some serious repair. Should i spend 500-800 dollars to get it in perfect running condition. or wait another couple more months and just do a full blown swap? it's automatic and i would change it to stick if i did a motor swap...What would you do?
hharb

Post by hharb »

SWAP, all the way
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Before getting too excited (or depressed), look for the simple stuff first. Remove the large black ribbed intake air hose and inspect it thoroughly for any hairline cracks in the rubber. Flex it a bit and ck closely all around between the ribs. Your described symptoms match up with having this problem and it costs nothing to rule it out first, especially if it is the orig. 14yr. old hose.

Even small crack(s) allow unmetered air to enter the intake stream, creating a too-lean fuel mixture that causes stalling. Engine can't compensate by adding extra fuel on its own in this case so ya find yourself wildly pumping the gas pedal to add that fuel. During starting and when going into gear the engine flexes in its mounts (normal), that's why that hose is made to flex as well. But if there are any cracks, they get flexed open when the engine flexes and that allows all that extra air into the intake stream. If ya find any hairline cracking in the rubber, clean and dry the hose surface and add a couple of tightly wound 360 degree wraps of duct tape, which will seal the crack(s) to stop the problem for awhile until ya can replace the hose.

If this DIY fix solves your starting/stalling prob, you can get by til a swap is more practical. You also mentioned it's been overheating for awhile? Has the thermostat been replaced? Worn out thermostat or low coolant level from a worn out coolant hose, H20 pump, or radiator leak is the most common cause of overheating. In the case of a leak you should be able to spot that. If no leak is present, a $6 replacement thermostat and 20-30 min. of your time is an easy DIY fix. Not addressing the overheating will force you down the "swap path" pretty fast if that cylinder head warps and blows yer head gasket. All told, ya might have to lay out just a very few bucks to get into running condition. Don't assume it's hundreds of $ until the simplest problem causes are ruled out first.
Image -Jim
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

I would try a few things, such as those Neutral specified, to get your car running. Also, you may want to make sure the MAF sensor is plugged in. Use a multimeter and a manual to test the circuits on both sides of the MAF sensor connection. You didn't happen to remove the air filter box and not yet replace it, have you?

I only mention that because I did that once... I needed to move the car, and the MAF sensor and filter box was off. I started the car, the engine ran, as soon as I added load by putting it in gear, the car died. I expect that cracks in the hose could have a similar effect, at Neutral said, but I'd expect that the car would drive still, depending on how small (or big) the leak is.
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
lochabay

need everyones opinion

Post by lochabay »

Both of above are good advice. I had a similar problem once which turned out to be the MAF sensor.
David Lochabay
Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands
Black 1993 MX3, MT, 1.6 SOHC
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

Well thats the problem....the overheating was so bad the shop said they "think" i blew a head gasket...either way the cars got 170k miles on it..and the guy who had it before me did not take care of it.Im putting another b6 in it from japan next week. Im gettin the new motor,belts,hoses,radiator...for like 1200 bucks so i cant go wrong and then i shouldnt have any problems for a while...
1993 Mazda Mx-3 1.6L SOHC
Full Exhaust w/4" tip, intake, full roll cage
myspace.com/nickistheone

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”