Valve cover gasket leaking, even after replacement

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jumboplay

Valve cover gasket leaking, even after replacement

Post by jumboplay »

Yes, I did a search - I just want some new wisdom.

96 RS - VC was leaking (front right and at distributor hump), so I replaced it with a new gasket from the dealer. The old gasket looked perfect when I took it out. I applied gasket compound around the distributor. I tighted the VC in the order the shop manual describes, with a torque wrench. I did 55 in/lbs. It was fine for a week then started leaking again, at the front right. It isn't much, and it's not right at the distributor hump either. Since then I've re-did the bolts again at 60 in/lbs, then 65. Not willing to go higher, really. For what it's worth, I'm using Mobil-1 5w30, recently changed. Been running this for 5 years, nothing's changed.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe less torque? If anyone has any insight or experience with this, let me know - it's getting annoying.
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Jumbo, Good trouble shooting. Here are some other things to consider. Have you inspected it very closely and verified there are no cracks? Also, have you checked the head and the cover for flatness and/or scratches on the surfaces that mate with the gasket? Is the new gasket faulty? Is the oil leak possibly from a stud or bolt hole? Good luck,
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

what always works for me is before your selent clean the area with gas or thinner, carb cleaner. after applying your selent, just set the VC in place and dont torque it down for at least 2 hours. and i never torque it, i just put a long extention and hand tighten all of them, then give about 1/2 turn with the wrench.

have you checked your distributor seal, often it comes from there.
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

Distributor seal replaced too. It was leaking from there, but it's not since I've replaced it.
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

its probably the distributor mounting gasket, those are only 2 dollars at autozone. plus i also found out that when you tighten the vc with the new gasket in, you have to do it when the motor is cold, then redo it when the motor gets hot.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Did you lube the gasket before you put it on the head?

In the future, dip your finger in oil (cool oil! Doh!) and then run it along the bottom of the valve cover gasket (the surface where head & VC gasket meet).

This provides a good seal, but dont ask me how. I just know you are supposed to do it.
:wink:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

lol well i kinda did something retarded i used oil (cool, it was chilli) and also some gasket maker, and the thing has been running perfect and ive been redlining it in some races lately. (legal)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”