hatch rattles. any simple ideas?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
XL200

hatch rattles. any simple ideas?

Post by XL200 »

the rear hatch in my mx3 rattles really bad and i have a friend who has the same problem. Ive elimated all other major rattles besides this one and im up for any simple cures for this annoyance. I was thinking of getting some thin window rubber strippings and lining the latch area of the hatch with it. any other ideas would be greatly helpful. thanks
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

try adjusting the striker bar down a bit, its under the plastiv thing int he back
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Also ck your center brake light housing. Mounts with two semi-hidden bolts that can loosen over time. Drove me nuts for a month or two til it got bad enough I could tell where the rattle was. There was also a Tech Svc. Bulletin from Mazda on repairing a rear hatch/hinge rattle prob w/some '93 MX-3's. http://mx-3.com/tsb/s047-93.gif
Image -Jim
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've found that the rear seats rattle alot too. I've lined the striker for the seat latch in rubber tape to make it stop. Another cure would be a new hatch seal. They are old and the rubber is probably not making a good vibration seat anymore. Moving the striker down a bit helped mine too.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Also you can try black tape around the latch ring, wont last long if you open your hatch often. I used that for a while.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I was looking at that recall image when one of the mechanics wandered by, wondering if I was on my 'mx-3 chat thing.' I told him about the hatch squeak that plagues my car as well and he suggested silicone lube along the seals. I tend to believe the noise is at the clasp and amplified through the hatch, but heck, the seal lube might help a bit.
Cody
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

remove the hatch.

That will solve the problem.

:wink:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
XL200

Post by XL200 »

I moved the striker down and it helped some and wrapped the latch with tape(its still stays....sweet) and that seems to work pretty good. thanks. as for alantamx3's idea, i would consider it; but it rains alot in oregon, or if i wanted to reduce some weight and build another rally car, :P

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”