Cat troubles

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Cat troubles

Post by Bumpysbro »

hi guys finally ordered my Cat for my car the other day got it in today but i found out it doesnt fit. turns out the site doesnt sell CA emission catalytic converters. ive checked rockauto, autopartswarehouse and local stores and nothing. any ideas on where i could find one?

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.c ... er&dp=true

on there site the 3rd one from the bottom. mine looks exactly identical to that one its from a protege but the one for a 1995 1.6l mx3 one didnt fit.

if you notice the end of the Cats are different and wont fit with the new gasket.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/ ... atends.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/ ... andold.jpg
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

I am sooooo glad where I live I dont have to deal with bs emissions
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

Yeah in California their tough on it. When I got my full exhaust redone i just told the shop to get a street legal catalytic converter. Buying online you risk not fitting, poorly made or not street legal. But when it comes to my intake i get them on ebay for like $50. ofcourse there not AEM and are illegal but perform the same.
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

It's pretty bad a** where i work. I work for a welding service Co. in Ontario. If i want I could build my intake but it's easier to buy on ebay. But within this month I bulding my roll cage and then i'll make some headers.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Unless you're being sent to a referee than I wouldn't worry about it being completely carb legal. Smog stations just glance over everything, if some cat is there you're fine. It's the refs that are anal.
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

[quote="mr1in6billion"]Unless you're being sent to a referee than I wouldn't worry about it being completely carb legal. Smog stations just glance over everything, if some cat is there you're fine. It's the refs that are anal.[/quote]

Right but when you get pulled over and they ask you to pop your hood...your skrewed. Anything not street legal from the converter on you must see a referee. It's $2,000 just to see the referee then whatever it costs to get your car fixed
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

right but where i live no cops even care what we have. i got a couple honda guys with turbos, chevy guys with huge 357 engines in em and they never care so ima try and order it.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Try fitting it the other way - opposite direction. I did that to fit the protege cat in the mx3 - AFAIK cats are non-directional. You will have to get good exhaust gaskets. You might also have to add some clamps or welds to that flimsy hangers.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Right but when you get pulled over and they ask you to pop your hood...your skrewed. Anything not street legal from the converter on you must see a referee. It's $2,000 just to see the referee then whatever it costs to get your car fixed
A cop can't tell the difference between a carb cat and a regular stock replacement. They look exactly the same. The referees can tell because they run the carb number. And you got ripped, the referees up here are only 150-300 or so.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Have you tried asking your local muffler shop for a cat? That's where I get mine. There about $50-75. That's what you'll probably pay on Ebay. Just a thought.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ariesdude wrote:Try fitting it the other way - opposite direction. I did that to fit the protege cat in the mx3 - AFAIK cats are non-directional. You will have to get good exhaust gaskets. You might also have to add some clamps or welds to that flimsy hangers.
well the actual size of the CAt in length is too short and there arent any bolts at the end like my old one. and ya i went to a muffler shop in my town but they said they had som universal ones for my car but had to weld it on. any ideas? i dont know anything about welding or exhaust systems haha im returning my cat that i bought and i found a different one see if this works. thanks for your help guys
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

[quote="mr1in6billion"][quote]Right but when you get pulled over and they ask you to pop your hood...your skrewed. Anything not street legal from the converter on you must see a referee. It's $2,000 just to see the referee then whatever it costs to get your car fixed[/quote]
A cop can't tell the difference between a carb cat and a regular stock replacement. They look exactly the same. The referees can tell because they run the carb number. And you got ripped, the referees up here are only 150-300 or so.[/quote]

Ive never been busted

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”