Can bad grounds make a car not start? (KLZE)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
greenstorm

Can bad grounds make a car not start? (KLZE)

Post by greenstorm »

I think I messed up with my grounds when putting in my KLZE, it ran for awhile but now it doesnt start. The car has power from the battery but when i go to start it, my starter does not engage. could it be a bad starter solenoid or would bad grounds screw this up? My battery is perfectly fine and everything else in my car has full power.

So is it more likely my starter or grounds? When it ran, my battery light would flicker once in awhile as well. I also get some codes, but they have to do with the EGR,(and some sensor I can't remember right now) and its the same codes that i had when it ran.
what kind of car IS that?
lowridah313

Post by lowridah313 »

yeah it sounds like your grounds there should be one off the heads, the transmission, the block, and check the battery ground.
Representin' the THRE3:TH1RT3EN
'02 Nissan Xterra SE, atx, 4x4, 32's
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
Feedback http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 54&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cy

Post by Cy »

Goto you local stereo shop and get a battery terminal w/splitter block, some 4AWG wire and some o-ring style terminals...
It's a good idea to replace all the stock strand-steel grounds aswell as adding an extra to the head(for the plugs)...

There's no real advantage to adding any other grounds. As Very little energy goes through the bottom end..
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Cy, it is well documneted and dyno proven that better and extra grounds DO add horse power.
That said you sound like you know enough already GS, it would be the grounds or the starter. I had a rash of stuff go out on the MX just after the ZE swap so I wouldn't discount the starter.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Cy

Post by Cy »

PATDIESEL wrote:Cy, it is well documneted and dyno proven that better and extra grounds DO add horse power.
I know that... i said to replace/upgrade all the grounds and add some to the head.. but grounding the bottom end isn't cost effective vs the head...
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

I had added some grounds but to the bottom end and tranny. So what do I do to add one to the head? just bolt down a wire somewhere from the head to the chasis?
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

ran into a problem. there are two manual tranny starters. Do I want a 1.4kw or 1.7kw? I did a auto to manual swap, so would I want the 1.4?
Cy

Post by Cy »

greenstorm wrote:ran into a problem. there are two manual tranny starters. Do I want a 1.4kw or 1.7kw? I did a auto to manual swap, so would I want the 1.4?
Are you buying new?..

If so pickup them both and see if the bigger one fits and has the same tooth pattern as the flywheel...

It's always nice to have a motor that turns over nice and easy...
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

can i tell which one it is by looking at it? will it have a part number on it? and do they have the same teeth just different electronics or....im rambling haha. I was probably gonna go junkyard or see if anyone has one for sale on here.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”