Overheating......Water shooting everywhere

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ProjectMx-3

Overheating......Water shooting everywhere

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

My name is nick and am 16 years old. I own a 93 mazda mx-3 and i got a problem. I know how shops work and how much you are being overcharged for labor, so i like to work on my car myself. Today i drove to my grandmothers for christmas about 50 miles from my house. When i got off the freeway my car was wayyy to hott and was smoking. I made it to her house but theres a huge problem. For one i noticed the timing belt cover gasket was destroyed, so i know i need to replace that. but water is shooting up from what appears to be underneath te timing belt cover and is also leaking from underneath. Im stuck here tonight as everything is closed, but tomorrow i will buy a new gasket, but whats the other problem....Waterpump??

Also I need tips for changing the timing belt cover gasket as i may need to remove the flywheel......Thanks
1993 Mazda Mx-3 1.6L SOHC
Full Exhaust w/4" tip, intake, full roll cage
myspace.com/nickistheone
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Flywheel is on the other side.. not the timing belt side.

Sounds pretty bad man. Keep us updated.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

Now the damn thing wont start. P.O.S!

The waterpump and timing belt cover gasket shouldn't cause it to not start...Gotta work on it tomorrow morning. Wish me luck cause I need it.
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

Yay I got it to start. But I also noticed the radiator fans are not spinning. I drove it around the block 3 times and it was already wayy overheated. It's gotta be the water pump! Either way im replacing the timing belt cover gasket and the water pump, hopefully it still wont overheat...
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

same thing happened to me many times with my mx3, ya replace the water pump, timing belt, make sure there are no leaks anywhere else. my thermostat died when my car overheatd just last week. best of luck with it, if you can try to do a compression test on the motor just in case theres no internal damage.

for the timing belt, refer to either the online manual or a repair manual. if you can its good to have 2 people if you can makes the job easier to hold both cams in place when you slip on the belt. and make sure the crank mark is lined up everytime i do mine it always likes to drift off a lil bit.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

thanks for the info. My timing belt is fine it's the gasket inside the cover that needs replacing.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”