How many of you have revved over 7K in a ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

just to clear this up I have been doing tons of reading on probetalk for my engine build this winter....and even started a post on there ...TO DATE THERE IS NO RECORDED KL01 CAMMED KLZE THAT HAS BROKEN A RETAINER
look at this 323 with a curveneck ze hittin over 9000rpm...with interprep valvesprings and cams on STOCK ZE retainers and locks
94+ there is an improved retainer http://videos.streetfire.net/category/M ... 1c52ba.htm

The KLZE retainers are based on production date and not what cams they came with. late-94 saw a proper intake valve spring retainer which is NOT prone to breakage. Early ZE's, both with KL31 and KL01 cams had weaker/improper fitting retainers that were prone to split. I have a late 94 ZE that came with KL01 cams, when i removed the first retainer in my DE spring swapover I saw that the retainer was of the updated kind and thus havent bothered changing them. I now have KL31 cams in this engine and synthetic 5w-20 oil and I hit the rev limiter several times a day with no worry at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyniceguy
Its not that zes have weak retainers but the weay the springs are shaped. Flat splrings beat on the retainer. Round doesnt.

This is NOT TRUE. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the springs. The problem is indeed the early-style retainers. Not only were they too thin around keepers/locks, but the keepers/locks also did not sit flush inside the retainer, eventually cracking (splitting actually from the outward force of the improperly seated valve keepers).
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

swapping to the k8 valve train shouldnt be to hard.
My k8 was rev limited at 7800. just be careful not to spin a bearing :p
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
Flinch

8k no problem

Post by Flinch »

lol when i did the second ZE swap on my car i reved up to 8 k a couple of times not knowing any better driving around town not i fefuse to go much over 6500.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I used to shift at 7200 rpm until I realized the powerband drops off right around 6500 on my ze. I did that for almost 2 years! I have a modded ECU that has no rev limiter and I have revved past 8000 before (by accident). My ze now has over 100,000 miles on it and still runs fine as my daily driver! I've never had an issue out of the motor, no smoke, nothing!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”